Because of frequent flier stuff I’m flying home from Paris via New York, while Penny is doing the sensible thing, flying via Hong Kong and getting home 36 hours before me. At least that was the plan. She’s just texted that her Air France plane was leaking oil and has been diverted to Manila. I’m wide awake in the city that never sleeps posting to my clog from my not-an-iPhone. 24 channels, nothing worth watching except a senate enquiry into contractors (ie for profit armies) and moron Girls Gone Wild
WP Bookblog Listing
- Overland 241 (ed Evelyn Araluen & Jonathan Dunk, summer 2020) 25 October 2021From the editorial: 'To articulate an effective ethics of reading, writing and publishing in this continent we must properly frame Aboriginality as an agentic subject, rather than a nationalist prop.' That's hard to argue against.
- Loving Miss Hatto (Aisling Walsh 2012) 23 October 2021This story couldn't have been told if it wasn't based in an actual case. A TV movie about a fraud in which an elderly woman had other people's performances on piano passed off as her own.It was written by Victoria Wood when her husband / widower, perpetrator of the hoax was still alive.
- The Silence (Fiona Seres 2010) 22 October 2021Paradoxically one of the shoutiest TV series ever. A young woman who has recently had a cochlear implant, which she hates, is going through 18-year-old acting out. She witnesses a murder, but for undisclosed reasons doesn't at first tell anyone about it.
- Summer of Love (Questlove 2021) 22 October 2021Subtitled: Or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised. This is a documentary about the 1969 Harlem Cultural Festival. The festival was dubbed the 'Black Woodstock' but the filmmaker's attempts to get finance together failed until now. It's a brilliant movie, and not just for the music (The Fifth Dimension, Nina Simone, B B King, some […]
- Walk like a Cow (Brendan Ryan 2020) 21 October 2021A memoir from the author of Why I Am Not a Farmer.
- Overland 241 (ed Evelyn Araluen & Jonathan Dunk, summer 2020) 25 October 2021
TagsABC Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon First Nations history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Marcel Proust memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- Journal Blitz 10
- The Prelude Progress Report 4
- Andy Jackson, Human Looking
- More Lies from Richard James Allen
- 500 people: Week 33–34
- Ruby Reads 27: Tashi
- George Megalogenis’ Exit Strategy
- The Prelude Progress Report 3
- Aravind Adiga’s Amnesty
- 500 people: Week 32
- Journal Blitz 9
- 500 people: Week 29-31
- The Book Group and Mark McKenna Return to Uluru
- Brian Azzarello’s 100 Bullets
- Alan Finkel’s Getting to Zero