This is on the White House blog, with no apparent comic intention:
WP Bookblog Listing
- The Archaeology of Australia's Deserts (Mike Smith 2013) 20 September 2016This book begins: 'Whatever else it may be, a desert landscape is a historical document preserving a complex record of the interaction of past climates, geomorphic processes and cultural systems.' I'm reading it because of Tom Griffiths' The Art of Time Travel, but it may turn out to be too academic for me.
- How the Marquis Got His Coat Back (Neil Gaiman 2014) 19 September 2016One quite short short short story with a book all to itself, originally published in a short story anthology, Rogues. I'm guessing that publishing it in this stand-alone format is a way of making it less intimidating to 'reluctant readers' in their early teens.
- The Legacy, Season 2 (Maya Ilsøe 2015) 19 September 2016In the first season we came to dislike all the characters as they squabbled, lied, sulked and cheated over their mother's estate. The second season starts a year further on. They're all still acting with as much entitlement as lead characters in a US romcom, and all in trouble of one kind or another ... with a little baby in the middle of it all.
- My Scientology Movie (Louis Theroux & John Dower 2016) 13 September 2016Directed and co-written by John Dower, this is a great companion to the recent Getting Clear. Louis Theroux has a great ability to persist in awkward, potentially dangerous situations.
- Arne Dahl Series 1 (2011–2012) 13 September 2016This is a number of two-part miniseries based on the novels of Arne Dahl, but screened as a single series by SBS in Australia. It's like a Nordic policier – a small specialist group somewhat uneasily surviving in the bureaucracy, solving crimes by sheer eccentric brilliance. And I'm hooked.
- The Archaeology of Australia's Deserts (Mike Smith 2013) 20 September 2016
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alex Ryan Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf editing Gleebooks history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Ngurrumbang Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The Book Show The School Magazine translation Turkey
- Neil Gaiman’s How The Marquis Got His Coat Back
- Tom Griffiths’ Art of Time Travel
- Don Watson’s Enemy Within
- Michelle Cahill’s Letter to Pessoa
- Lee Whitmore’s Ada Louise
- Judith Ridge’s Book that Made Me
- Atticus Lish’s Preparation for the Next Life
- China Miéville’s This Census Taker
- The Book Group and Paula Hawkins’s Girl on the Train
- Gary Ramage’s The Shot
- Charlotte Wood’s Natural Way of Things
- Lesley & Tammy Williams, Not Just Black and White
- A minute
- Colleen Z Burke’s Home Brewed and Lethal
- Edward John Eyre’s Journals of Expeditions