This is on the White House blog, with no apparent comic intention:
Lisa Hill on SWF 2017 Thursday JenQ on SWF 2017 Thursday SWF 2017 Thursday |… on David Marr’s White … shawjonathan on NSWPLA 2017 Lisa Hill on NSWPLA 2017 2017 NSW Premier… on NSWPLA 2017 Jim KABLE on All the tired horses in the su…
WP Bookblog Listing
- Le mépris / Contempt (Jean-Luc Godard 1963) 23 May 2017I thought I just didn't understand this when I saw it in the late 1960s, and it's true I didn't get a lot of the sex related signals, but part of the point is that Camille (Brigitte Bardot) doesn't explain what's going on in her head. I watched this because of Anne Carson's fascinating chapbook-essay 'Contempts'. I wat […]
- Don't Tell (Tori Garrett 2017) 20 May 2017A well made, well-written movie about a child sex abuse case in Toowoomba early this century. So good to see an Australian film that's not 'quirky', that's serious, that deals with a significant issue, and that has some moments of strong emotional power. Also, Anne Brooksbank as one of the writers. And Queensland architecture.
- Silent Witness Season 19 (2016) 20 May 2017Is it a sign of age that I can remember when Amanda Burton seemed irreplaceable as forensic pathologist Sam Ryan. It may be a little tired but it's still watchable, and Emilia Fox as Nicky Alexander has been the main female character for longer than Ms Burton ever was.
- Follow the Money (Jeppe Gjervig Gram, Jannik Tai Mosholt, Anders Frithiof August 2016) 18 May 2017Yet another Danish crime show, this time it's financial skulduggery in the renewable energy industry, with an ambitious woman who is ambivalently implicated and a male policeman.
- The Country Doctor (Thomas Lilti 2016) 17 May 2017A film written and directed by a doctor, and you can tell. The plot is enough to sustain, and the performances are convincing, especially those of the distractingly Dustin Hoffmann like François Cluzet in the title role and Marianne Denicourt as his replacement in training. But the real interet is in the nitty gritty of doctoring in rural France.
- Le mépris / Contempt (Jean-Luc Godard 1963) 23 May 2017
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alex Ryan Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Gleebooks history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation Turkey
- SWF 2017 Thursday
- NSWPLA 2017
- 2016 Australian Poetry Anthology
- Anne Carson’s Float
- Bill Willingham’s Fables 14–22
- All the tired horses in the sun …
- Bill Willingham and Matthew Sturges’ Great Fables Crossover
- Bill Willingham’s Fables 11 & 12
- Overland 225
- Paul Beatty’s Sellout
- David Marr’s White Queen
- David Musgrave’s Anatomy of Voice
- Couplets refusing to be enraged
- Viet Thanh Nguyen’s Sympathizer
- Six months of movie-going