November verse 9: In Newtown
Noon, Saturday. As I went walking
King Street South I met a flow,
a gaggle, not a troupe, of talking
mimes – youths dressed à la Marceau:
white face, striped shirt, a red carnation.
Cheerful, noisy desecration.
If mimes aren’t silent, what’s the point?
The times are clearly out of joint.
Then at the bus stop, here’s a scammer:
‘Hi,’ she says, ‘Long time no see!’ …
Then, ‘Would you like to come with me?’
She made no headway with her glamour.
‘Five dollars, then?’ I shook my head.
All when I went to buy some bread.
WP Bookblog Listing
- Australian Poetry Journal 9.1: resist! (edited by John Kinsela 2019) 10 October 2019Reading this as part of the never-ending and enjoyable challenge of keeping up to date with journal subs.
- 2040 (Damon Gameau 2019) 9 October 2019I do wonder what Roger Hallam, co-founder of Extinction Rebellion, would think of this movie about changes that can happen to avert a climate catastrophe – distributed, renewable power grids, the end to private internal-combustion vehicles, regenerative farming, and so on. Dangerous reassurance, perhaps? But it does hold out hope – hope, as I understand it, […]
- Blak Brow (#40 of The Lifted Brow, 2018) 9 October 2019A special 'Blak Women's Edition' of The Lifted Brow. From the imprint page: 'BLAK, coined by artist Destiny deacon in 1990, names the lived experience and identity of urban Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples.'
- Overland 234 (Jacinda Woodhead 2019) 4 October 2019I am so grateful to Overland and journals like it for surviving to stretch our collective attention spans. This issue features, among others, Aexis Wright.
- Who Killed My Father (Édouard Louis 2018, translated by Lorin Stein 2019) 4 October 2019A young gay man's impassioned letter to his late working-class father.
- Australian Poetry Journal 9.1: resist! (edited by John Kinsela 2019) 10 October 2019
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Gleebooks history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Judith Beveridge memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- Hope and the Climate Emergency
- Édouard Louis, Who Killed My Father
- Susan Hill’s Black Sheep
- Ruby Reads (16): Other books by …
- The Book Group with A Gentleman in Moscow
- Keri Glastonbury’s Newcastle Sonnets
- Sam Shepard’s Rolling Thunder Logbook
- Children’s Crusade?
- Erik Jensen’s Prosperity Gospel
- If you hear us …
- Journal Blitz 3
- Proust Progress Report 1: Getting started
- Ruby Reads (15) plus round-faced Bowie
- The 2019 Francis Webb Poetry Reading
- Edna O’Brien’s Little Red Chairs