I’ve been walking past this rubbish bin outside the Marrickville Metro for a couple of weeks. It just occurred to me that the attack on this tiny, neat graffiti is an example of literal erasure of First Nations peoples in history. For what it’s worth:
Anne Bell Knight on Rebecca Huntley’s Advanc… shawjonathan on Rebecca Huntley’s Advanc… Anne Bell Knight on Rebecca Huntley’s Advanc… shawjonathan on Rebecca Huntley’s Advanc… shawjonathan on Rebecca Huntley’s Advanc… Jim KABLE on Rebecca Huntley’s Advanc… Lisa Hill on Rebecca Huntley’s Advanc…
WP Bookblog Listing
- The Journey (Nick Hamm 2016) 20 July 2019Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness are stick in a car together for a couple of hours, with the challenge of overcoming their deepseated enmity and agreeing to a peace deal over Northern Ireland. Some irritating exposition from the people surveilling them, two excellent performances (especially Timothy Spall as Paisley), and a reminder of just how recently the […]
- Amsterdam (Russell Shorto 2013) 19 July 2019I'm yielding to persistent recommendation (some would call it hectoring) and finally reading this. I do expect to enjoy it.
- The Miniaturist (John Brownlow, from Jessie Burton's novel 2017) 17 July 2019Costume drama with a touch of the eerie and a lot of weirdly ascetic religion.
- Australia Fair: Listening to the Nation (Rebecca Huntley 2019) 17 July 2019Quarterly Essay Nº 73 asks what Australians want from the nextlast election. I'm reading it late.
- Booksmart (Olivia Wilde 2019) 14 July 2019Mark Kermode (click on the image) really liked it, but I thought it was one of those gross-out teen comedies but with women in the lead roles. Are high schools in the USA really like this?
- The Journey (Nick Hamm 2016) 20 July 2019
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon Gleebooks history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- Rebecca Huntley’s Advance Australia
- Ruby Reads (14)
- Lisa Bellear, Aboriginal Country
- Ruby Reads (13)
- Journal Blitz 2
- Nadia Wheatley, Her Mother’s Daughter
- The Book Group and Josephine Wilson’s Extinctions
- Literal erasure
- Ruby Reads (12): Ladybird, Alison Lester & Dylan
- Journal Blitz
- Ruby Reads (11): Caterpillars, butterflies and lavatory humour
- Simon Schama’s Story of the Jews (Part One)
- Ruby Reads (10): Ducks, pop-ups, and llama
- Fiona Wright’s World Was Whole
- Andy Kissane’s Tomb of the Unknown Artist