I’m getting up scarily early tomorrow to catch a plane, but I couldn’t go to bed without a quick note about this evening. Penny and I and quite a few other people were extras in the film Alex is making as part of his year-long director’s course at AFTRS. That’s the Australian Film Television and Radio School. We spent hours standing around being bored, and minutes sitting in front of the camera – at least I was sitting, pretending to eat disgusting noodles, while Penny had a more upright role, wearing an anti-infection mask. I loved seeing – and being a small part of – the well-oiled machinery of a film shoot in action, and I especially loved seeing the way the two actors, in the midst of so much noise and busyness, managed to make something happen between them. All this happened beneath the roar of the Expressway in Pyrmont, close to the city. I took a number of blurry photos with my phone camera. No time for more – here is Alex with actor Richard Green (of Boxing Day fame), a masked Penny, Alex in a variety of directorial moments (including one with Anna Lise Phillips with an umbrella – did I mention it rained a fair bit? Anna Lise lent me her hoodie), and the disgusting noodles.
WP Bookblog Listing
- Flood Damages (Eunice Andrada 2018) 22 June 2018Poetry from Giramondo.
- Collected Short Fiction (Gerald Murnane 2018) 21 June 2018For the Book Group, 20 pieces of short fiction first published between 1979 and 2012.
- Counterpart, Season 1 (Justin Marks 2018) 20 June 2018A spy movie with a touch of sliding-doors sci fi, and avuncular J K Simmons in the double lead role.
- Younger Season 5 (Darren Star 2018) 18 June 2018What can I say? We were watching this before it because a cult, and now we're watching it again.
- SFF: Instructions on Parting (Amhy K Jenkins 2018) 17 June 2018If I understood the intentions of the title I would probably have a higher opinion of this film. There's a lot in it that's beautiful, and it covers some deeply sad events in a family's life, but too much of it feels like a very high quality home movie.
- Flood Damages (Eunice Andrada 2018) 22 June 2018
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alex Ryan Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Gleebooks history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation Turkey
- The Book Group and Shirley Hazzard’s Transit of Venus
- Anna, Kim and Stephen’s Monsters
- Mark McKenna’s Moment of Truth
- Maryam Azam’s Hijab Files
- John Mateer’s João
- Suneeta Peres da Costa’s Saudade
- Jacqueline Woodson’s Brown Girl Dreaming
- Simon Armitage’s Flit
- Elisabeth Åsbrink’s 1947
- Robert Seethaler’s Whole Life
- Carol Ann Duffy’s Feminine Gospels
- Nadeem Aslam’s Golden Legend
- Ann Patchett’s Bel Canto
- Ann Patchett’s Truth and Beauty
- Caminho de Tiago Day 6