Have I stumbled on a secret art movement? Here’s another carefully posed shoe spotted while walking the dog.
WP Bookblog Listing
- Throat (Ellen van Neerven 2020) 6 July 2020Ellen van Neerven talked about this book in one of the 2020 Sydney Writers' Festival podcast sessions. I had to buy it.
- Disney +: Hamilton (Lin-Manuel Miranda 2016) 6 July 2020Just broadcast now, this was filmed in 1916 with the original cast. People have to book years in advance and pay a king's ransom, but we got to see it for the price of a coffee and a hot chocolate. The casting of people of the global majority as the Founding Fathers of the USA is a visceral reminder of how Blacks, Native Americans and others were exclud […]
- The Accident (Jack Thorne, Sarah Goldbacher 2019) 6 July 2020Nine teenagers are killed in a tragic accident in a small Welsh village. Things unravel from there. It feels awfully familiar, but it's got terrific people in it, including Sidse Babett Knudsen from Borgen, and the writing is distinctive, even weird at times. It was voted the least popular TV series of 2019 in a UK poll, but I've seen a lot worse. […]
- The Personal History of David Copperfield (Armando Iannucci 2020) 3 July 2020Our first movie in a picture theatre for months, in an appropriately sparse audience at 4.40 in the afternoon, and what a wonderful movie for the occasion. The diverse casting works brilliantly. Dev Patel is terrific as David. It's a very long time since I read the book. Some of my most clearly remembered scenes aren't there, but Steerforth, Uriah […]
- All We Could Do (edited by Nicky Boynton-Bricknell & Duncan Richardson) 1 July 2020Launched on 1 May this year, this is a publishing project that comes of seizing the historical moment. It presents 16 short pieces of 'creative non-fiction' about the flu epidemic of 1918–1920.
- Throat (Ellen van Neerven 2020) 6 July 2020
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Judith Beveridge memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- Ellen van Neerven’s Comfort Food
- SWF 2020, Post 4
- Margaret Simons’s Cry Me a River
- Mirandi Riwoe’s Stone Sky Gold Mountain
- SWF 2020, Post 3
- My Brilliant Friend at the Book Group
- Lisa Gorton’s Empirical
- Proust Progress Report 10:
- SWF 2020, Post 2
- I didn’t go to the Vigil today …
- Hilary Mantel’s The Mirror and the Light
- Ruby Reads 21: Books lent by a blog reader
- Camperdown Cemetery
- Proust Progress Report 9:
- Ruby reads 20: Lockdown?