It’s almost a year since I saw any of Marrickville Mattress Poet C.L’s work (last sighting here), but she’s still going, and I saw this this morning. It looks as if she’s feeling the strain of living with a climate-action-delaying bloviator as Prime Minister.
shawjonathan on 500 people: It’s a … kathyprokhovnik on 500 people: It’s a … shawjonathan on 500 people: It’s a … kathyprokhovnik on 500 people: It’s a … shawjonathan on 500 people: It’s a … Lisa Hill on 500 people: It’s a … shawjonathan on Margaret Atwood’s Hag-Se…
WP Bookblog Listing
- Carriageworks: Fluffy (Frank Newman and Curly Fernandez 2021) 21 January 2022Having given away tickets to Girl from the North Country out of concern about exposure to Covid, we nevertheless went to Fluffy, where we played with strangers in an enclosed space with much laughter and not much possibility for physical distancing. Everyone except children was masked, but most of the people in the room were children. It was wonderful fun w […]
- Manifest, Season 1 (Jeff Rake 2018) 19 January 2022A plane goes missing and turns up five years later, but as far as the passengers no time has passed at all. They have to negotiate their relationships with people who have generally moved on, and also deal with strange new powers they seem to have acquired. Cheesy as all get-out, but fun.
- An Ideal Husband (Oliver Parker 1999) 17 January 2022With a screenplay by the director based on Oscar Wilde's play, this works well as a movie, even with all the stage business of doors opening and closing and deliberately left ajar. All the principal actors are wonderful: CAte Blanchett, Minnie Driver, Rupert Everett, Julianne Moore, Jeremy Northam.
- Fishing for Lightning (Sarah Holland-Batt 2021) 16 January 2022I read a couple of the essays in this when they first appeared in the Weekend Australian, and was delighted to receive the book as a Christmas gift. I hope it will make me less ignorant about contemporary Australian poetry.
- The Tender Bar (George Clooney 2021) 16 January 2022Portrait of the writer as a young boy. Ben Affleck is sweet as the boy hero's uncle. A lot of cigarettes and alcohol.
- Carriageworks: Fluffy (Frank Newman and Curly Fernandez 2021) 21 January 2022
TagsABC Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon First Nations history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Marcel Proust memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- 500 people: It’s a wrap
- Kim Stanley Robinson’s 2312
- Vaughan and Harris Ex Machina
- Margaret Atwood’s Hag-Seed
- End of year lists 2021
- #aww2021 Challenge Completed
- Ruby Reads 29: Gift
- Lemire Endings: Gideon Falls 6 and Ascender4
- Bernadine Evaristo’s Mr Loverman
- Lech Blaine’s Top Blokes
- The Marrickville Mattress Poet again
- 500 people: Week 44
- Abdulrazak Gurnah’s Gravel Heart
- Joe Keohane’s the Power of Strangers
- 500 people: Weeks 41 to 43