Mattresses aren’t the only discards that stir the creative impulses in the Inner west. A friend sent me this photograph, taken in a Stanmore lane. I think this work needs to be preserved for the ages.
kathyprokhovnik on 500 people: It’s a … shawjonathan on 500 people: It’s a … kathyprokhovnik on 500 people: It’s a … shawjonathan on 500 people: It’s a … Lisa Hill on 500 people: It’s a … shawjonathan on Margaret Atwood’s Hag-Se… shawjonathan on Margaret Atwood’s Hag-Se…
WP Bookblog Listing
- Fishing for Lightning (Sarah Holland-Batt 2021) 16 January 2022I read a couple of the essays in this when they first appeared in the Weekend Australian, and was delighted to receive the book as a Christmas gift. I hope it will make me less ignorant about contemporary Australian poetry.
- The Tender Bar (George Clooney 2021) 16 January 2022Portrait of the writer as a young boy. Ben Affleck is sweet as the boy hero's uncle. A lot of cigarettes and alcohol.
- YouTube: Finding Lucy (Pamela Mason Wagner 2000) 14 January 2022We watched this TV biog after Being the Ricardos. It confirmed how excellent Nicole Kidman's version of Lucille Ball is.
- Amazon Prime: Being the Ricardos (Aaron Sorkin 2020) 14 January 2022I enjoyed this a lot. Both Nicole Kidman and Xavier Bardem are terrific, and I forgot that it was an Aaron Sorkin script.
- To Sir with Love (James Clavell 1967) 14 January 2022Sidney Poitier is still a commanding presence on this story of a teacher who wins over a room full of recalcitrant students. The students are pretty harmless by today's movie standards, and mostly unconvincing. I didn't know it was directed by an Australian, and didn't remember how blatantly was addressed to a US audience. But watching it was […]
- Fishing for Lightning (Sarah Holland-Batt 2021) 16 January 2022
TagsABC Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon First Nations history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Marcel Proust memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- 500 people: It’s a wrap
- Kim Stanley Robinson’s 2312
- Vaughan and Harris Ex Machina
- Margaret Atwood’s Hag-Seed
- End of year lists 2021
- #aww2021 Challenge Completed
- Ruby Reads 29: Gift
- Lemire Endings: Gideon Falls 6 and Ascender4
- Bernadine Evaristo’s Mr Loverman
- Lech Blaine’s Top Blokes
- The Marrickville Mattress Poet again
- 500 people: Week 44
- Abdulrazak Gurnah’s Gravel Heart
- Joe Keohane’s the Power of Strangers
- 500 people: Weeks 41 to 43