The Marrickville Mattress Poet put in an appearance as part of the Marrickville Open Studio Trail on the weekend. This homage to Magritte was part of the Fairy Alley exhibition.
WP Bookblog Listing
- Belvoir: The Dance of Death (August Strindberg 1900) 16 December 2018The play is bonkers, but in a good way. Pamela Rabe, Colin Friels and Toby Schmidt are all brilliant. The set (by genius Brian Thomson), lighting design (Matthew Scott), and sound design (Paul Charlier) all remarkable. What Are we to make of the moment when Toby Schmidt's character pulls off his false moustache? Photo by Daniel Boud from Belvoir site.
- Sisters (Imogen Banks et al 2017) 14 December 2018We found this pleasant surprise on Netflix. It's an Australian sitcom about panicky young women, a little in the manner of Offspring, The Letdown or that one where every man the woman had sex with died. Here. a Nobel laureate admits that he has donated his own sperm to many cases of in vitro fertilisation, and as a result his adult daughter discovers sh […]
- Emil and the Detectives (Erich Kästner 1929, translation by Eileen Hall 1959) 11 December 2018A children's literature classic, I'm catching up. Wonderful late 20s illustrations by Walter Trier.
- Rainforest (eileen Chong 2018) 11 December 2018I've been waiting for a chance to read this, one of the many things to emerge from Eileen Chong's very productive 2018.
- Saga Volume 9 (Fiona Staples & Brian K Vaughan 2018) 11 December 2018Tragedy strikes.
- Belvoir: The Dance of Death (August Strindberg 1900) 16 December 2018
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Gleebooks history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation Turkey
- The Book Group on Edward Said’s Late Style
- Staples and Vaughan, Saga 8 & 9
- Freeman & Beer’s Amazing Australian Women
- Dubosarsky & Chapman’s Leaf Stone Beetle
- Pat Barker’s Silence of the Girls
- November verse 14:
- November verse 13: To be read
- November verse 12:
- David Malouf’s An Open Book
- November verse 11: On fair dinkum politics
- November verse 10: Advice to myself
- November verse 9: In Newtown
- Overland 230
- November verse 8: Moving out, moving in
- November verse 7: Removal day