To the driver who didn’t stop
OK, you slowed enough to see that
she was staggering but not dead
before you drove off. You’ll agree that
women crossing when the red
is flashing shouldn’t be run over
but then today I guess you drove a
little careless. Neither light
nor traffic bade you not turn right,
and if she’d taken one step further
or been a child for goodness sake
of course you would have hit the brake.
It’s not as if you’ve done a murder.
The bruises where you hit will mend.
Sleep well at night. Go safe, my friend.
WP Bookblog Listing
- Feminine Gospels (Carol Ann Duffy 2002, Picador 2017) 24 March 2018Visiting the amazing Foyles in Charing Cross Road I felt compelled to buy a book of poetry, and this caught my eye.
- The Scar (China Miéville 2002) 21 March 2018A third book from our Street Library that I've brought on my travels. China Miéville being Weird.
- This Restless State (Jesse Fox 2018) 15 March 2018A one man show in the theatre where we saw So Many Reasons, and produced by the same company ('Fuel') as it and The Barbershop Chronicles. A young, charming out of work actor, playing himself, in post-Brexit-vote Britain contemplates a grim future, but the play takes us back to Berlin in 1989 and forward to Italy in the 2060s and the evening becom […]
- Black Panther and the Crew (mainly Ta-Nehisi Coates and Scott Hanna 2017) 9 March 2018This is the second of my Black Panther purchases. I wish I had realised that these are not the main body of Ta-Nehisi Coates's revival of the old Marvel character.
- Restoration (Rose Tremain 1989) 8 March 2018Another book from the Street Library that I've taken on my travels with the intention of discarding it once I've enjoyed it.
- Feminine Gospels (Carol Ann Duffy 2002, Picador 2017) 24 March 2018
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alex Ryan Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Gleebooks history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation Turkey
- Rose Tremain’s Restoration
- Hearts in London, 4
- Roxane Gay, Ta-Nehisi Coates and others’ Black Panther
- Amitav Ghosh’s Flood of Fire
- Hearts in London, 3
- Hearts in London, 2
- Hearts in London, 1
- Overland 229
- Kathleen Jamie’s Bonniest Companie
- Lachlan Brown’s Lunar Inheritance
- Kate Middleton, Passage
- Kim Scott’s Taboo at the Book Group
- B R Dionysius’ Curious Noise
- Fiona Wright’s Domestic Interior
- Ed Brubaker’s Fatale