To the driver who didn’t stop
OK, you slowed enough to see that
she was staggering but not dead
before you drove off. You’ll agree that
women crossing when the red
is flashing shouldn’t be run over
but then today I guess you drove a
little careless. Neither light
nor traffic bade you not turn right,
and if she’d taken one step further
or been a child for goodness sake
of course you would have hit the brake.
It’s not as if you’ve done a murder.
The bruises where you hit will mend.
Sleep well at night. Go safe, my friend.
WP Bookblog Listing
- Flood Damages (Eunice Andrada 2018) 22 June 2018Poetry from Giramondo.
- Collected Short Fiction (Gerald Murnane 2018) 21 June 2018For the Book Group, 20 pieces of short fiction first published between 1979 and 2012.
- Counterpart, Season 1 (Justin Marks 2018) 20 June 2018A spy movie with a touch of sliding-doors sci fi, and avuncular J K Simmons in the double lead role.
- Younger Season 5 (Darren Star 2018) 18 June 2018What can I say? We were watching this before it because a cult, and now we're watching it again.
- SFF: Instructions on Parting (Amhy K Jenkins 2018) 17 June 2018If I understood the intentions of the title I would probably have a higher opinion of this film. There's a lot in it that's beautiful, and it covers some deeply sad events in a family's life, but too much of it feels like a very high quality home movie.
- Flood Damages (Eunice Andrada 2018) 22 June 2018
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alex Ryan Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Gleebooks history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation Turkey
- The Book Group and Shirley Hazzard’s Transit of Venus
- Anna, Kim and Stephen’s Monsters
- Mark McKenna’s Moment of Truth
- Maryam Azam’s Hijab Files
- John Mateer’s João
- Suneeta Peres da Costa’s Saudade
- Jacqueline Woodson’s Brown Girl Dreaming
- Simon Armitage’s Flit
- Elisabeth Åsbrink’s 1947
- Robert Seethaler’s Whole Life
- Carol Ann Duffy’s Feminine Gospels
- Nadeem Aslam’s Golden Legend
- Ann Patchett’s Bel Canto
- Ann Patchett’s Truth and Beauty
- Caminho de Tiago Day 6