No action here just yet. I’ve signed up on WordPress because I’m planning to close down my existing blog, Family Life, and continue it here under a new name. The transition will happen on 25 May. See you here then!
Join 792 other followers
WP Bookblog Listing
- Murder Mystery (Kyle Newacheck 2019) 24 September 2022A mildly amusing murder comedy with two comic actors who aren't very funny. But there are a couple of laughs, and the Mediterranean is beautiful. An early Netflix original.
- Wedding Season (Oliver Lyttelton 2022) 20 September 2022Not to be confused with any number of other movies and TV series with the same name, this road trip romcom series begins with an entire wedding party being poisoned, leaving the bride to take the blame. The bride was almost certainly up to something, but she persuades another young man who is in love with her to go on the run and help her prove her innocence […]
- History of the Rain (Niall Williams 2014) 19 September 2022For the Book Group. If this lives up to its opening paragraph I'm in for a treat.
- The Kilng of Laughter / Qui Rido Io (Mario Martone 2021) 17 September 2022Part of an Italian film festival, this is a bipoic (sort of) of the theatrical come=cic actor an producer Eduardo Scarpetta (1853–1925). The movie was at pains to show that what was funny then isn't funny now, which deprived it of a lot of charm. My companion was in pain, and we left after and hour and a half without great regret.
- Minx (Ellen Rappoport 2022) 16 September 2022A revisionist comedic look at the 70s in which an ardent and humourless young woman sets out to create a magazine called something like 'Ending Patriarchy' and becomes the editor of a semi-pornographic magazine with worthy articles. There's a lot of enjoyable anachronism and many penises.
- Murder Mystery (Kyle Newacheck 2019) 24 September 2022
TagsABC Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon First Nations history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Marcel Proust memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- The Iliad: Progress report 10
- Edwina Preston’s Bad Art Mother
- Reading with the Grandies 31: Roald Dahl, Grug and the Bus Book
- Hugh White’s Sleepwalk to War
- The Book Group and George Haddad’s Losing Face
- Tony Butler’s Hermitage in the South
- Claudia Rankine’s Just Us
- The Iliad: Progress report 9
- Pam Brown’s Stasis Shuffle
- Rumaan Alam’s Leave the World Behind
- Nir Batram’s At Night’s End
- Ouyang Yu’s Terminally Poetic
- Two Flying Island pocket poets
- Les Murray’s Continuous Creation
- Bernadine Evaristo’s Girl, Woman, Other