No action here just yet. I’ve signed up on WordPress because I’m planning to close down my existing blog, Family Life, and continue it here under a new name. The transition will happen on 25 May. See you here then!
WP Bookblog Listing
- Her Mother's Daughter (Nadia Wheatley 2018) 18 June 2019Nadia Wheatley wrote a much-praised biography of Charmian Clift. Here she turns her acute eye to her own mother.
- State of the Union (Stephen Frears 2019) 16 June 2019Written by Nick Hornby, a series of ten 10-minute episodes in each of which a couple whose marriage is in crisis meet for a drink in a pub before walking across the street to their therapy session. Chris O'Dowd and Rosemary Pike are wonderful. And they get somewhere.
- SFF: The Extraordinary Journey of Celeste Garcia (Arturo Infante 2018) 16 June 2019My final movie of the Sydney Festival this year. (We had booked for an Agnès Varda film that was screening a couple of hours later, but opted for this to avoid having to eat yet another meal out). It is revealed that aliens have been living in Cuba, and on their return to their planet of origin invite a large number of Cubans to visit them. we follow Celeste […]
- SFF: Stupid Young Heart (Selma Vilhunen 2018) 16 June 2019A fairly slight tale of young love. The 15 year old hero, small for his age, somehow manages to have sex with the woman he adores, also 15. She finds out she's pregnant and they decide to keep the baby. Meanwhile, he falls in with a nasty lot of nationalists and enters a spiral of racism and violence.
- SFF: Öndög (Quan'an Wang 2019 ) 15 June 2019Wonderful Mongolian scenery, lovingly and lingeringly filmed, while a not-quite-story unfolds among the humans.
- Her Mother's Daughter (Nadia Wheatley 2018) 18 June 2019
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Gleebooks history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation Turkey
- Journal Blitz
- Ruby Reads (11): Caterpillars, butterflies and lavatory humour
- Simon Schama’s Story of the Jews (Part One)
- Ruby Reads (10): Ducks, pop-ups, and llama
- Fiona Wright’s World Was Whole
- Andy Kissane’s Tomb of the Unknown Artist
- Tricia Dearborn’s Autobiochemistry
- Richard James Allen’s Short Story of You and I
- Ruby Reads (9): Emus, tigers and ducks and love
- John Steinbeck’s Travels with Charley and the Book Group
- SWF 2019 Sunday Part Two
- SWF 2019 Sunday, Part One
- Simon Griffin’s Fucking Apostrophes
- SWF 2019 Saturday
- SWF 2019: Friday