The corner shop is no longer in the making. Whenever I’ve walked down the street in the days since I’ve been home there have been people inside, sitting at the bench by the window and at the table outside in the sun. Clearly Rod’s understanding of his potential market was sound. I caused a terrible racket by walking past with Nessie on the lead; she remained virtuously silent (I don’t mention the aggressively stiff tail) and let the two little dogs parked at the door go spare with rage that she should exist. This morning for the first time I actually went inside, noting as I did that people were arriving by car to have their breakfast coffee Naturally, I took a camera.
WP Bookblog Listing
- Truth and Beauty: A Friendship (Ann Patchett 2004) 19 April 2018This comes highly recommended by my recommender-in-chief.
- All the Birds, Singing (Evie Wyld 2013) 16 April 2018A book club book.
- Netflix: Come Sunday (Joshua Marston 2018) 13 April 2018Chiwetel Ejiofor in the true story of an African American Bishop who came to believe – and to preach – that hell does not exist. Amazing to watch a film that at its heart is about theology!
- This Water: Five Tales (Beverly Farmer (2017) 10 April 2018From Giramondo.
- The Young Vic: The Inheritance Part 2 (Matthew Lopez 2018) 28 March 2018W?).e missed Part One because of exhaustion, but Part Two was a brilliant evening in the theatre anyhow. The ensemble cast was impeccable, and the writing excellent: funny, lyrical, heartbreaking, argumentative. We had Lucky Dip tickets, which means we got seats of No Shows, and could have ended up standing for all or part of the three and a half hours. We e […]
- Truth and Beauty: A Friendship (Ann Patchett 2004) 19 April 2018
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alex Ryan Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Gleebooks history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation Turkey
- Evie Wyld’s All the Birds, Singing
- Beverley Farmer’s This Water
- Nos ossos
- China Miéville’s Scar
- Rose Tremain’s Restoration
- Hearts in London, 4
- Roxane Gay, Ta-Nehisi Coates and others’ Black Panther
- Amitav Ghosh’s Flood of Fire
- Hearts in London, 3
- Hearts in London, 2
- Hearts in London, 1
- Overland 229
- Kathleen Jamie’s Bonniest Companie
- Lachlan Brown’s Lunar Inheritance
- Kate Middleton, Passage