The corner shop is no longer in the making. Whenever I’ve walked down the street in the days since I’ve been home there have been people inside, sitting at the bench by the window and at the table outside in the sun. Clearly Rod’s understanding of his potential market was sound. I caused a terrible racket by walking past with Nessie on the lead; she remained virtuously silent (I don’t mention the aggressively stiff tail) and let the two little dogs parked at the door go spare with rage that she should exist. This morning for the first time I actually went inside, noting as I did that people were arriving by car to have their breakfast coffee Naturally, I took a camera.
shawjonathan on Shevaun Cooley’s Homing Kathy Gollan on Shevaun Cooley’s Homing Cathy McLennan… on Dog Ear Cafe Cathy McLennan… on Stan Grant’s Talking to… Cathy McLennan… on Bookblog #59: March is the lau… shawjonathan on Topical verse Kathy Gollan on Topical verse
WP Bookblog Listing
- These Things are Real (Alan Wearne 2017) 20 July 2017A new collection of Alan Wearne's vernacular narratives.
- Mao's Last Dancer (Bruce Beresford 2009) 20 July 2017There's something very straightforward about Bruce Beresford's way with a story that serves this biopic well. Chi Cao dances beautifully as Li Cunxin, whose story it tells. When the defecting dancer meets up with his peasant parents after decades of separation, the operatic intensity of emotion felt completely earned.
- Viceroy's House (Gurinder Chadha 2017) 15 July 2017This made me understand the partition of India and Pakistan, and it's an engrossing story.
- Lady Macbeth (William Oldroyd 2016) 14 July 2017The Handmaid Strikes Back, in wuthering country. Florence Pugh is excellent.
- The Loyalty of Chickens (Jenny Blackford 2017) 14 July 2017Perhaps some lighter pleasures after late Judith Wright.
- These Things are Real (Alan Wearne 2017) 20 July 2017
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alex Ryan Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Gleebooks history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation Turkey
- A fortnight in verse 1
- Shevaun Cooley’s Homing
- Vincent and Neale’s Unstable Relations
- Topical verse
- The Book Group at Kevin Barry’s City of Bohane
- Cathy McLennan’s Saltwater
- Saga 7
- SWF 2017 Sunday
- SWF 2017 Saturday
- SWF 2017 Friday
- SWF 2017 Thursday
- NSWPLA 2017
- 2016 Australian Poetry Anthology
- Anne Carson’s Float