The corner shop is no longer in the making. Whenever I’ve walked down the street in the days since I’ve been home there have been people inside, sitting at the bench by the window and at the table outside in the sun. Clearly Rod’s understanding of his potential market was sound. I caused a terrible racket by walking past with Nessie on the lead; she remained virtuously silent (I don’t mention the aggressively stiff tail) and let the two little dogs parked at the door go spare with rage that she should exist. This morning for the first time I actually went inside, noting as I did that people were arriving by car to have their breakfast coffee Naturally, I took a camera.
Play with Knives, by… on Jennifer Maiden’s Compli… Lisa Hill on John Purcell’s Girl on t… Lisa Hill on End of year lists shawjonathan on End of year lists Lisa Hill on End of year lists shawjonathan on End of year lists whisperinggums on End of year lists
WP Bookblog Listing
- Since Ali Died (Omar Musa 2018) 16 January 2019Omar Musa seems less at home in the Stables Theatre than at Bankstown Poetry Slam, and this hour of song and poetry with an autobiographical feel doesn't really work as a play, but it's greattheatre anyhow. Directed by Anthea Williams. Photo by David Charles Collins, taken from Griffin website.
- The Team Series 2 (Andi Wecker 2018) 12 January 2019A new set of characters, a completely new ad hoc team, for this second season. Just as promising
- The Year Everything Changed (Phillipa McGuinness 2018) 12 January 2019If 1947 has a good claim to be 'the year now begins', then 2001 has an equally valid claim to be the year it changed.
- Cold War (Pawel Pawlikowski 2018) 11 January 2019A visually beautiful black and white film, a love story set against a background of Cold War Poland. Grim as you'd expect, but with lots of cool dancing and music.
- Call My Agent / Dix pour cent, series 3 (Fanny Herrero 2019) 11 January 2019Still fabulous!
- Since Ali Died (Omar Musa 2018) 16 January 2019
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Gleebooks history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation Turkey
- Richard F Thomas, Why Dylan Matters
- John Purcell’s Girl on the Page
- *** New Merch***
- End of year lists
- #aww2018 & #aww2019
- Australian Poetry Journal 7:2, Work
- Eileen Chong’s Rainforest
- Erich Kästner’s Emil and the Detectives
- The Book Group on Edward Said’s Late Style
- Staples and Vaughan, Saga 8 & 9
- Freeman & Beer’s Amazing Australian Women
- Dubosarsky & Chapman’s Leaf Stone Beetle
- Pat Barker’s Silence of the Girls
- November verse 14:
- November verse 13: To be read