The corner shop is no longer in the making. Whenever I’ve walked down the street in the days since I’ve been home there have been people inside, sitting at the bench by the window and at the table outside in the sun. Clearly Rod’s understanding of his potential market was sound. I caused a terrible racket by walking past with Nessie on the lead; she remained virtuously silent (I don’t mention the aggressively stiff tail) and let the two little dogs parked at the door go spare with rage that she should exist. This morning for the first time I actually went inside, noting as I did that people were arriving by car to have their breakfast coffee Naturally, I took a camera.
Lisa Hill on Richard Denniss’s Dead… Lisa Hill on Richard Denniss’s Dead… shawjonathan on Richard Denniss’s Dead… Lisa Hill on Richard Denniss’s Dead… shawjonathan on History repeating shawjonathan on History repeating Lisa Hill on History repeating
WP Bookblog Listing
- The Good Cop (Andy Breckman 2018) 14 October 2018A Netflix Original series, a charmingly oldfashioned cop show. The tag line is: Son's on Patrol, Dad's on Parole. Tony Danza is the scallywag former corrupt cop now out on parole, and a fabulously geeky Josh Groban is his squeaky clean homicide detective son.
- Clueless (Amy Heckerling 1995) 14 October 2018I was reading Jane Austen's Emma and had an irresistible urge to watch this again. It's still funny, even more so with Emma fresh in one's mind.
- Belvoir: An Enemy of the People (Melissa Reeves 2018, after Henrik Ibsen 1882) 13 October 2018A town hall meeting takes up most of the second half of this play, and it's a brilliantly orchestrated use of the auditorium. The rest of the play fell between two stools – neither nineteenth century Norway nor 20th Century Australia. Some telling echoes of recent political history – Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump on stage; a woman being pilloried for […]
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine season 5 (Andy Samberg et al. 2018) 13 October 2018How would you tell if this show jumped the shark when it's so silly all the time. I realised how much it had affected me when I kept being surprised that the two comic relief cops in Bosch turned out to be competent.
- The Good Place season 3 (Michael Schur 2018) 13 October 2018Inspired metaphysical silliness continues.
- The Good Cop (Andy Breckman 2018) 14 October 2018
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Gleebooks history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation Turkey
- Richard Denniss’s Dead Right
- History repeating
- Alice Walker’s Chicken Chronicles
- Sarah Winman’s Tin Man
- Marija Peričić’s Lost Pages
- Sue Lawson’s Freedom Ride
- Olga Tokarczuk’s Flights and the Book Group
- Czesław Miłosz’s Captive Mind
- Rozanna Lilley, Do Oysters Get Bored?
- Kate Lilley’s Tilt
- The Book Group and Gerald Murnane’s Collected Short Fiction
- Jennifer Maiden’s Selected Poems
- Mohammad Ali Maleki’s Truth in the Cage
- Two quick reads
- Stephen Hart’s Lighthouse at Pelican Rock