One last post on Turkey. My companion, known here as the Art Student, was fascinated, even obsessed with the many women tourists in Istanbul who were dressed in black from head to toe, faces veiled and even sometimes hands concealed by black gloves. She was indignant that their male companions were very often wearing shorts. Far too hot for a man to wear long pants, they seemed to say, while the women simply sweltered. Paradoxically, many of these women carried cameras. We did see some lowering the veils to below their chins so as to be photographed, but mainly they took snaps and remained themselves unsnappable. Traditional Turkish attire for women involving garments resembling trench coats of varying lengths and colours, didn’t look much cooler, but at least the women showed their faces in public,
kathyprokhovnik on Two quick reads shawjonathan on Two quick reads kathyprokhovnik on Two quick reads Diversity Roundup: M… on Maryam Azam’s Hijab… shawjonathan on Stephen Hart’s Lighthous… Jim KABLE on Stephen Hart’s Lighthous… shawjonathan on [From August 2004] Vale Thea…
WP Bookblog Listing
- Safe (Harlen Coban 2018) 14 July 2018A gated community full of dysfunctional families. The gay brother from Six Feet Under, not gay here, is recently widowed, and his teenage daughter goes missing. episode after episode he discovers that there's a lot he didn't know about his wife and his daughrters.
- The Smack Track (Ian McPhedran 2017) 9 July 2018The Royal Australian Navy's work disrupting drug trafficking off the east coast of Africa. Some of the stories behind the headlines, told partly from the eyewitness vantage point of an embedded writer.
- The Rúin (Dervla McTiernan 2018) 9 July 2018The beginning of what I hope will be a series about Irish detective Cormac Reilly.
- Modus, Season 2 (2017) 8 July 2018The US president, a woman, is abducted i Stockholm. Her close FBI adviser is a creep and a sleaze. The profiler called in to help find the president is his former student whom he raped and assaulted brutally in the past.
- Secret City, Season 1 (2016 7 July 2018Adapted from novels by Steve Lewis and Chris Uhlmann, directed by Emma Freeman, made in partnership with the ACT Government, this Foxtel original is a political thriller set in Canberra with a right-wing perspective, striking for the diversity of its characters – an Aboriginal Lesbian, a transgender woman (played by a cis man), many Chinese (including the vi […]
- Safe (Harlen Coban 2018) 14 July 2018
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alex Ryan Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Gleebooks history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation Turkey
- Two quick reads
- Stephen Hart’s Lighthouse at Pelican Rock
- Eunice Andrada’s Flood Damages
- Southerly 77/1
- Michael Farrell Loves Poetry
- The Book Group and Shirley Hazzard’s Transit of Venus
- Anna, Kim and Stephen’s Monsters
- Mark McKenna’s Moment of Truth
- Maryam Azam’s Hijab Files
- John Mateer’s João
- Suneeta Peres da Costa’s Saudade
- Jacqueline Woodson’s Brown Girl Dreaming
- Simon Armitage’s Flit
- Elisabeth Åsbrink’s 1947
- Robert Seethaler’s Whole Life