One last post on Turkey. My companion, known here as the Art Student, was fascinated, even obsessed with the many women tourists in Istanbul who were dressed in black from head to toe, faces veiled and even sometimes hands concealed by black gloves. She was indignant that their male companions were very often wearing shorts. Far too hot for a man to wear long pants, they seemed to say, while the women simply sweltered. Paradoxically, many of these women carried cameras. We did see some lowering the veils to below their chins so as to be photographed, but mainly they took snaps and remained themselves unsnappable. Traditional Turkish attire for women involving garments resembling trench coats of varying lengths and colours, didn’t look much cooler, but at least the women showed their faces in public,
WP Bookblog Listing
- Sisters (Imogen Banks et al 2017) 14 December 2018We found this pleasant surprise on Netflix. It's an Australian sitcom about panicky young women, a little in the manner of Offspring, The Letdown or that one where every man the woman had sex with died. Here. a Nobel laureate admits that he has donated his own sperm to many cases of in vitro fertilisation, and as a result his adult daughter discovers sh […]
- Emil and the Detectives (Erich Kästner 1929, translation by Eileen Hall 1959) 11 December 2018A children's literature classic, I'm catching up. Wonderful late 20s illustrations by Walter Trier.
- Rainforest (eileen Chong 2018) 11 December 2018I've been waiting for a chance to read this, one of the many things to emerge from Eileen Chong's very productive 2018.
- Saga Volume 9 (Fiona Staples & Brian K Vaughan 2018) 11 December 2018Tragedy strikes.
- Civilisations (Simon Schama, Mary Beard, Daviv Olusoga 2018) 11 December 2018Not just in its title credits, but sometimes explicitly in the narration, this is a response to and expansion of Kenneth Clark's Civilisation series from 1969.
- Sisters (Imogen Banks et al 2017) 14 December 2018
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Gleebooks history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation Turkey
- The Book Group on Edward Said’s Late Style
- Staples and Vaughan, Saga 8 & 9
- Freeman & Beer’s Amazing Australian Women
- Dubosarsky & Chapman’s Leaf Stone Beetle
- Pat Barker’s Silence of the Girls
- November verse 14:
- November verse 13: To be read
- November verse 12:
- David Malouf’s An Open Book
- November verse 11: On fair dinkum politics
- November verse 10: Advice to myself
- November verse 9: In Newtown
- Overland 230
- November verse 8: Moving out, moving in
- November verse 7: Removal day