Verse 8: At 35 weeks
You used to call each other Stinky
when first in love – as pet names go,
a little odd. But you were dinky-
di. We watched you thrive and grow
together, get jobs, win promotions,
make a home, fly over oceans
more than once. The sweet stink stayed
for fourteen years. The nest was made.
On Saturday a baby shower
marked the end of DINKish days,
and she-who’s-now-a-lump will raise
the stinky level, like a flower
that opens in the radiant dawn.
It’s just five weeks until she’s born
WP Bookblog Listing
- The Day ()Jonas Geirnaert & Julie Mahieu 2018) 15 August 2018A siege in a small bank, alternating episodes telling the inside and outside stories.
- You Can't Ask That (Kirk Docker 2018) 14 August 2018We're now in the third series of this ABC show, in which 'marginalised Australians' answer questions. We've watched survivors of child sexual abuse, priests, drag queens (and king) this season.
- Belvoir: A Taste of Honey (Shelagh Delaney 1958) 12 August 2018Something terrible happened between the page and this stage. We didn't leave at interval, a decision we came to regret. Too often the words spoken told us what was happening between the characters, but we saw no other evidence of it. Image by Daniel Boud from Belvoir site.
- Bonus Family, Season 2 (Clara Herngren & Felix Herngren 2018) 11 August 2018More of the same excellent mess in a Swedish blended family. There's a contrived plotline about paternity, but otherwise the second season complicates things by means of new relationships and old family members.
- The Wrong Kind of Black (Catriona McKenzie 2018) 7 August 2018A cheerful and also grim story based on the life of the fabulous Boori Monty Pryor – from setting out to make it as a model and then a DJ in 70s flares, to the beginning of his life as a story teller, educating generations of Australian schoolchildren in respect for Aboriginal culture. Originally made as four short episodes this was shown in the ABC as a sin […]
- The Day ()Jonas Geirnaert & Julie Mahieu 2018) 15 August 2018
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alex Ryan Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Gleebooks history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation Turkey
- Kate Lilley’s Tilt
- The Book Group and Gerald Murnane’s Collected Short Fiction
- Jennifer Maiden’s Selected Poems
- Mohammad Ali Maleki’s Truth in the Cage
- Two quick reads
- Stephen Hart’s Lighthouse at Pelican Rock
- Eunice Andrada’s Flood Damages
- Southerly 77/1
- Michael Farrell Loves Poetry
- The Book Group and Shirley Hazzard’s Transit of Venus
- Anna, Kim and Stephen’s Monsters
- Mark McKenna’s Moment of Truth
- Maryam Azam’s Hijab Files
- John Mateer’s João
- Suneeta Peres da Costa’s Saudade