Verse 8: At 35 weeks
You used to call each other Stinky
when first in love – as pet names go,
a little odd. But you were dinky-
di. We watched you thrive and grow
together, get jobs, win promotions,
make a home, fly over oceans
more than once. The sweet stink stayed
for fourteen years. The nest was made.
On Saturday a baby shower
marked the end of DINKish days,
and she-who’s-now-a-lump will raise
the stinky level, like a flower
that opens in the radiant dawn.
It’s just five weeks until she’s born
Join 793 other followers
WP Bookblog Listing
- See How The Run (Tom George 2022) 29 September 2022Set in 1950s London around Agatha Christie's The Mouse Trap, this isn't as funny as it needs to be. Saoirse Ronan is marvellous and the detective's naive sidekick who saves teh day, and she saves the film.
- The Indian Detective ( Smita Bhide & Frank Spotnitz 2017) 29 September 2022A bumbling Canadian policeman visits his father in Mumbai and does a better job as a detective there than at home. Comedian Russell Peters stars as the detective.
- Bohemian Rhapsody (Bryan Singer 2018) 25 September 2022We saw this almost accidentally on NetFlix. Evidently it takes a lot of liberties with the history, but it's wonderful.
- Murder Mystery (Kyle Newacheck 2019) 24 September 2022A mildly amusing murder comedy with two comic actors who aren't very funny. But there are a couple of laughs, and the Mediterranean is beautiful. An early Netflix original.
- Wedding Season (Oliver Lyttelton 2022) 20 September 2022Not to be confused with any number of other movies and TV series with the same name, this road trip romcom series begins with an entire wedding party being poisoned, leaving the bride to take the blame. The bride was almost certainly up to something, but she persuades another young man who is in love with her to go on the run and help her prove her innocence […]
- See How The Run (Tom George 2022) 29 September 2022
TagsABC Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon First Nations history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Marcel Proust memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- Journal Catch-up 15
- The Iliad: Progress report 10
- Edwina Preston’s Bad Art Mother
- Reading with the Grandies 31: Roald Dahl, Grug and the Bus Book
- Hugh White’s Sleepwalk to War
- The Book Group and George Haddad’s Losing Face
- Tony Butler’s Hermitage in the South
- Claudia Rankine’s Just Us
- The Iliad: Progress report 9
- Pam Brown’s Stasis Shuffle
- Rumaan Alam’s Leave the World Behind
- Nir Batram’s At Night’s End
- Ouyang Yu’s Terminally Poetic
- Two Flying Island pocket poets
- Les Murray’s Continuous Creation