Verse 8: At 35 weeks
You used to call each other Stinky
when first in love – as pet names go,
a little odd. But you were dinky-
di. We watched you thrive and grow
together, get jobs, win promotions,
make a home, fly over oceans
more than once. The sweet stink stayed
for fourteen years. The nest was made.
On Saturday a baby shower
marked the end of DINKish days,
and she-who’s-now-a-lump will raise
the stinky level, like a flower
that opens in the radiant dawn.
It’s just five weeks until she’s born
WP Bookblog Listing
- The Queen's Gambit (Scott Frank 2020) 28 October 2020An orphaned girl is a natuaral genius at chess, and as the poster indicates develops a hie problem with drugs and alcohol.
- On Earth we're Briefly Gorgeous (Ocean Vuong 2019) 27 October 2020From the Book Club.
- Corpus Christi (Jan Komasa 2019) 25 October 2020A brilliant Polish movie starring Bartosz Belienia as a young man released from juvenile detention who through a combination of desire and accident finds himself acting as parish priest in a village, and winning the respect of the parishioners. It turns out he's a Christ figure, though no resurrection in sight.
- SBS On Demand: Spooks Season 9 (David Wolstoncroft 2010) 23 October 2020We thought we'd seen all of Spooks years ago, and that these were new episodes. They are a decade old, it turns out, and maybe a little tired, but still fun. Take home message: trust no one.
- The Coal Curse (Judith Brett 2020) 20 October 2020Quarterly Essay Nº 78, subtitled 'Resources, climate and Australia's future,' and written before Covid–19 took most of the oxygen out of conversation about the climate.
- The Queen's Gambit (Scott Frank 2020) 28 October 2020
TagsABC Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon First Nations history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Judith Beveridge memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- SWF 2020, Post 10: All fiction
- Jenny Blackford’s Girl in the Mirror
- Bonny Cassidy’s Chatelaine
- Julie Janson’s Benevolence
- Jennifer Maiden, George and Clare, the Malachite and the DIamonds
- Proust Progress Report 14: de Charlus on the brink
- The Marrickville Mattress Minimalist Poet strikes again
- A cautionary tale
- Jokha Alharthi’s Celestial Bodies
- SWF 2020, Post 9
- Denise O’Hagan’s Beating Heart
- Robert Alter’s Psalms
- SWF 2020, Post 8
- Puerto Rico Strong comics
- Andrew Huntley’s Lyrical Ballast and From Tradition