November verse 18 &19: 29 and 30/11 Using the rhyme words from Vikram Seth's The Golden Gate, stanza 11.29 and 11.30 As 2020 nears completion, gurgling swiftly down time's drain, and leaves behind its vast accretion of damaged lives, despair, rage, pain, let's build our souls some insulation, not give way to desperation, put our faith in humankind and the power of the mind. May politicians' treachery be no more wrapped in pious sighs (no way to hide their lyin' eyes), buffoonery and lechery in office meet with decent scorn and find they are no longer borne. Greenhouse gas accumulation challenges the world's combined resourcefulness. The fermentation of bullshit would leave us resigned to dying off without compunction, but we can overcome disjunction. The clock is nearing 12 at night but tunnel's end shows flicking light: I'll join a crowd, not be a stranger, join hands, write letters, march, and then do it again, again, again. It's hard to face how real the danger, feel climate grief, but then the lust for life kicks in. In science I trust.
WP Bookblog Listing
- The Silence (Fiona Seres 2010) 22 October 2021Paradoxically one of the shoutiest TV series ever. A young woman who has recently had a cochlear implant, which she hates, is going through 18-year-old acting out. She witnesses a murder, but for undisclosed reasons doesn't at first tell anyone about it.
- Summer of Love (Questlove 2021) 22 October 2021Subtitled: The Revolution that Could Not Be Televised. This is a documentary about the 1969 Harlem Cultural Festival. The festival was dubbed the 'Black Woodstock' but the filmmaker's attempts to get finance together failed until now. It's a brilliant movie, and not just for the music (The Fifth Dimension, Nina Simone, B B King, some fab […]
- Walk like a Cow (Brendan Ryan 2020) 21 October 2021A memoir from the author of Why I Am Not a Farmer.
- Veep Season 5 (Armando Iannucci 2016) 20 October 2021We switched to this after the horror show of Succession Series 3 Episode 1. It's just as much a horror show, but funny and we can tell ourselves it's unrealistic. This was made when Trump was first running for president.
- Succession Season 3 (Jesse Armstrong 2021) 20 October 2021Can big business really be this ruthless? I want them all to be put into intensive care until they've had a good cry. Meanwhile I watch in fascinated horror, hoping it's pure fiction.
- The Silence (Fiona Seres 2010) 22 October 2021
TagsABC Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon First Nations history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Marcel Proust memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- The Prelude Progress Report 4
- Andy Jackson, Human Looking
- More Lies from Richard James Allen
- 500 people: Week 33–34
- Ruby Reads 27: Tashi
- George Megalogenis’ Exit Strategy
- The Prelude Progress Report 3
- Aravind Adiga’s Amnesty
- 500 people: Week 32
- Journal Blitz 9
- 500 people: Week 29-31
- The Book Group and Mark McKenna Return to Uluru
- Brian Azzarello’s 100 Bullets
- Alan Finkel’s Getting to Zero
- Zadie Smith’s Intimations