November verse 6: While they're counting The BOM predicted wind and drizzle but today dawned clear and still. In bed we did our daily puzzle, read the news, then took our pills, had juice, poached eggs on toast (with pepper). I showered, shaved and, feeling dapper went out shopping while you made a marinade and ironed and laid the table for tonight's four dinner guests. I vacuumed, rehung art. You whipped up a sweet lime tart. Refresh, refresh, there's still no winner. Downstairs hung their washing out. Refresh, refresh, it's still in doubt.
WP Bookblog Listing
- The Silence (Fiona Seres 2010) 22 October 2021Paradoxically one of the shoutiest TV series ever. A young woman who has recently had a cochlear implant, which she hates, is going through 18-year-old acting out. She witnesses a murder, but for undisclosed reasons doesn't at first tell anyone about it.
- Summer of Love (Questlove 2021) 22 October 2021Subtitled: The Revolution that Could Not Be Televised. This is a documentary about the 1969 Harlem Cultural Festival. The festival was dubbed the 'Black Woodstock' but the filmmaker's attempts to get finance together failed until now. It's a brilliant movie, and not just for the music (The Fifth Dimension, Nina Simone, B B King, some fab […]
- Walk like a Cow (Brendan Ryan 2020) 21 October 2021A memoir from the author of Why I Am Not a Farmer.
- Veep Season 5 (Armando Iannucci 2016) 20 October 2021We switched to this after the horror show of Succession Series 3 Episode 1. It's just as much a horror show, but funny and we can tell ourselves it's unrealistic. This was made when Trump was first running for president.
- Succession Season 3 (Jesse Armstrong 2021) 20 October 2021Can big business really be this ruthless? I want them all to be put into intensive care until they've had a good cry. Meanwhile I watch in fascinated horror, hoping it's pure fiction.
- The Silence (Fiona Seres 2010) 22 October 2021
TagsABC Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon First Nations history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Marcel Proust memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- The Prelude Progress Report 4
- Andy Jackson, Human Looking
- More Lies from Richard James Allen
- 500 people: Week 33–34
- Ruby Reads 27: Tashi
- George Megalogenis’ Exit Strategy
- The Prelude Progress Report 3
- Aravind Adiga’s Amnesty
- 500 people: Week 32
- Journal Blitz 9
- 500 people: Week 29-31
- The Book Group and Mark McKenna Return to Uluru
- Brian Azzarello’s 100 Bullets
- Alan Finkel’s Getting to Zero
- Zadie Smith’s Intimations