November verse 6: While they're counting The BOM predicted wind and drizzle but today dawned clear and still. In bed we did our daily puzzle, read the news, then took our pills, had juice, poached eggs on toast (with pepper). I showered, shaved and, feeling dapper went out shopping while you made a marinade and ironed and laid the table for tonight's four dinner guests. I vacuumed, rehung art. You whipped up a sweet lime tart. Refresh, refresh, there's still no winner. Downstairs hung their washing out. Refresh, refresh, it's still in doubt.
Join 793 other followers
WP Bookblog Listing
- See How The Run (Tom George 2022) 29 September 2022Set in 1950s London around Agatha Christie's The Mouse Trap, this isn't as funny as it needs to be. Saoirse Ronan is marvellous and the detective's naive sidekick who saves teh day, and she saves the film.
- The Indian Detective ( Smita Bhide & Frank Spotnitz 2017) 29 September 2022A bumbling Canadian policeman visits his father in Mumbai and does a better job as a detective there than at home. Comedian Russell Peters stars as the detective.
- Bohemian Rhapsody (Bryan Singer 2018) 25 September 2022We saw this almost accidentally on NetFlix. Evidently it takes a lot of liberties with the history, but it's wonderful.
- Murder Mystery (Kyle Newacheck 2019) 24 September 2022A mildly amusing murder comedy with two comic actors who aren't very funny. But there are a couple of laughs, and the Mediterranean is beautiful. An early Netflix original.
- Wedding Season (Oliver Lyttelton 2022) 20 September 2022Not to be confused with any number of other movies and TV series with the same name, this road trip romcom series begins with an entire wedding party being poisoned, leaving the bride to take the blame. The bride was almost certainly up to something, but she persuades another young man who is in love with her to go on the run and help her prove her innocence […]
- See How The Run (Tom George 2022) 29 September 2022
TagsABC Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon First Nations history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Marcel Proust memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- Journal Catch-up 15
- The Iliad: Progress report 10
- Edwina Preston’s Bad Art Mother
- Reading with the Grandies 31: Roald Dahl, Grug and the Bus Book
- Hugh White’s Sleepwalk to War
- The Book Group and George Haddad’s Losing Face
- Tony Butler’s Hermitage in the South
- Claudia Rankine’s Just Us
- The Iliad: Progress report 9
- Pam Brown’s Stasis Shuffle
- Rumaan Alam’s Leave the World Behind
- Nir Batram’s At Night’s End
- Ouyang Yu’s Terminally Poetic
- Two Flying Island pocket poets
- Les Murray’s Continuous Creation