He ends with some denials. ‘I’ve never ever
called a person bitch. It’s not my lingo
(I just read out letters). And I’ve never
likewise called her liar. It’s a thing, though,
the way she promises no tax forever,
she says East Timor, then Malaysia. Ringo
changed his tune less often. Fuel watch!
Liar’s an awful word, but she’s a botch.
‘I didn’t say that women are destroying
the joint – I know it’s on the tape like that,
but I meant just some women. It’s annoying:
I defend them, fund them, I go in to bat
for women ‘cos they don’t waste time enjoying
red wine and cigars at lunch. My hat
is tipped to tough ones who excel in arts.
I don’t despise their gender, just some parts.
‘I’m here to face the music, clear the air
in person, not on paper. Them that flogs
their products on my show will see I’m fair.
I thank you all for coming. Go the Dogs!’
Go, not so little poem, to Lord knows where,
but first to readers’ eyes by way of blogs.
It’s Jones who speaks in almost every line:
The words that do not please are surely mine.
shawjonathan on Shevaun Cooley’s Homing Kathy Gollan on Shevaun Cooley’s Homing Cathy McLennan… on Dog Ear Cafe Cathy McLennan… on Stan Grant’s Talking to… Cathy McLennan… on Bookblog #59: March is the lau… shawjonathan on Topical verse Kathy Gollan on Topical verse
WP Bookblog Listing
- These Things are Real (Alan Wearne 2017) 20 July 2017A new collection of Alan Wearne's vernacular narratives.
- Mao's Last Dancer (Bruce Beresford 2009) 20 July 2017There's something very straightforward about Bruce Beresford's way with a story that serves this biopic well. Chi Cao dances beautifully as Li Cunxin, whose story it tells. When the defecting dancer meets up with his peasant parents after decades of separation, the operatic intensity of emotion felt completely earned.
- Viceroy's House (Gurinder Chadha 2017) 15 July 2017This made me understand the partition of India and Pakistan, and it's an engrossing story.
- Lady Macbeth (William Oldroyd 2016) 14 July 2017The Handmaid Strikes Back, in wuthering country. Florence Pugh is excellent.
- The Loyalty of Chickens (Jenny Blackford 2017) 14 July 2017Perhaps some lighter pleasures after late Judith Wright.
- These Things are Real (Alan Wearne 2017) 20 July 2017
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alex Ryan Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Gleebooks history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation Turkey
- A fortnight in verse 1
- Shevaun Cooley’s Homing
- Vincent and Neale’s Unstable Relations
- Topical verse
- The Book Group at Kevin Barry’s City of Bohane
- Cathy McLennan’s Saltwater
- Saga 7
- SWF 2017 Sunday
- SWF 2017 Saturday
- SWF 2017 Friday
- SWF 2017 Thursday
- NSWPLA 2017
- 2016 Australian Poetry Anthology
- Anne Carson’s Float