He ends with some denials. ‘I’ve never ever
called a person bitch. It’s not my lingo
(I just read out letters). And I’ve never
likewise called her liar. It’s a thing, though,
the way she promises no tax forever,
she says East Timor, then Malaysia. Ringo
changed his tune less often. Fuel watch!
Liar’s an awful word, but she’s a botch.
‘I didn’t say that women are destroying
the joint – I know it’s on the tape like that,
but I meant just some women. It’s annoying:
I defend them, fund them, I go in to bat
for women ‘cos they don’t waste time enjoying
red wine and cigars at lunch. My hat
is tipped to tough ones who excel in arts.
I don’t despise their gender, just some parts.
‘I’m here to face the music, clear the air
in person, not on paper. Them that flogs
their products on my show will see I’m fair.
I thank you all for coming. Go the Dogs!’
Go, not so little poem, to Lord knows where,
but first to readers’ eyes by way of blogs.
It’s Jones who speaks in almost every line:
The words that do not please are surely mine.
WP Bookblog Listing
- Barber Shop Chronicles (Inua Ellams 2017) 20 January 2018A theatre guru once said, 'An audience want a body.' This play gave us 12 vigorous an d sonorous bodies of African and African-heritage men, in a number of interwoven scenes set in barber shops in Britain, Lagos, Nigeria, Zimbabwe and South Africa. 'A barber shop lights up like a beacon for a community where Black men can come, to be men. […]
- Taboo (Kim Scott 2-17) 17 January 2018For the Book Group.
- Lunar Inheritance (Lachlan Brown 2017) 13 January 2018Poetry.
- The Post (Steven Spielberg 2018) 12 January 2018This is a Spielberg movie with his signature heavy-handedness and especially swelling music that dictates what we are to feel. BUT, it features two marvellous performances, from Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks, and a loving account of newspaper production in the 1960s. I particularly loved the moment when the coy for the major breaking story lands on the sub […]
- Fatale Book 5: Curse the Demon (Ed Brubaker & Sean Phillips 2014) 12 January 2018The final episode. How many more men will Jo enthral and destroy. Will she finally be caught by the forces of evil. Will she find true love?
- Barber Shop Chronicles (Inua Ellams 2017) 20 January 2018
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alex Ryan Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Gleebooks history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation Turkey
- Ed Brubaker’s Fatale
- Jennifer Maiden’s Appalachian Fall
- Min Jin Lee’s Pachinko
- Year’s end lists 2017
- AWW 2017 challenge completed
- Overland 227 & 228
- Andrew McDonald’s Night Music
- The Book Group and James Rebanks’ Shepherd’s Life
- November verse 14
- November verse 13
- Adam Aitken’s Archipelago
- November verse 12: from Twitter
- November verse 11: Kurnell
- November verse 10: Dear Tony
- November verse 9 / A birthday poem