He ends with some denials. ‘I’ve never ever
called a person bitch. It’s not my lingo
(I just read out letters). And I’ve never
likewise called her liar. It’s a thing, though,
the way she promises no tax forever,
she says East Timor, then Malaysia. Ringo
changed his tune less often. Fuel watch!
Liar’s an awful word, but she’s a botch.
‘I didn’t say that women are destroying
the joint – I know it’s on the tape like that,
but I meant just some women. It’s annoying:
I defend them, fund them, I go in to bat
for women ‘cos they don’t waste time enjoying
red wine and cigars at lunch. My hat
is tipped to tough ones who excel in arts.
I don’t despise their gender, just some parts.
‘I’m here to face the music, clear the air
in person, not on paper. Them that flogs
their products on my show will see I’m fair.
I thank you all for coming. Go the Dogs!’
Go, not so little poem, to Lord knows where,
but first to readers’ eyes by way of blogs.
It’s Jones who speaks in almost every line:
The words that do not please are surely mine.
WP Bookblog Listing
- Younger Season 5 (Darren Star 2018) 18 June 2018What can I say? We were watching this before it because a cult, and now we're watching it again.
- SFF: Instructions on Parting (Amhy K Jenkins 2018) 17 June 2018If I understood the intentions of the title I would probably have a higher opinion of this film. There's a lot in it that's beautiful, and it covers some deeply sad events in a family's life, but too much of it feels like a very high quality home movie.
- SFF: The Guilty (Gustav Möller 2018) 17 June 2018A terrific Danish policier that, like Steven Knight's Locke, has one man on the phone. It has all the power of a first-class radio play, and Jakob Cedergren is mesmerising as the policeman in the emergency call centre.
- SFF: BlacKkKlansman (Spike Lee 2018) 17 June 2018A brilliant and very satisfying movie. Although it claims at the beginning to be based on real stuff, this didn't sink in for me until the credits rolled, and we were told that it's based on a book whose author has the same name as the main character. There are many points where the words that come from the mouths of KKK characters foreshadow Trump […]
- SFF: The Great Buddha+ (Hsin-yao Huang 2017) 16 June 2018It was good to see this with an audience that included a number of people who laughed at the jokes before the subtitles came up.
- Younger Season 5 (Darren Star 2018) 18 June 2018
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alex Ryan Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Gleebooks history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation Turkey
- Anna, Kim and Stephen’s Monsters
- Mark McKenna’s Moment of Truth
- Maryam Azam’s Hijab Files
- John Mateer’s João
- Suneeta Peres da Costa’s Saudade
- Jacqueline Woodson’s Brown Girl Dreaming
- Simon Armitage’s Flit
- Elisabeth Åsbrink’s 1947
- Robert Seethaler’s Whole Life
- Carol Ann Duffy’s Feminine Gospels
- Nadeem Aslam’s Golden Legend
- Ann Patchett’s Bel Canto
- Ann Patchett’s Truth and Beauty
- Caminho de Tiago Day 6
- Caminho de Tiago Day 5