He ends with some denials. ‘I’ve never ever
called a person bitch. It’s not my lingo
(I just read out letters). And I’ve never
likewise called her liar. It’s a thing, though,
the way she promises no tax forever,
she says East Timor, then Malaysia. Ringo
changed his tune less often. Fuel watch!
Liar’s an awful word, but she’s a botch.
‘I didn’t say that women are destroying
the joint – I know it’s on the tape like that,
but I meant just some women. It’s annoying:
I defend them, fund them, I go in to bat
for women ‘cos they don’t waste time enjoying
red wine and cigars at lunch. My hat
is tipped to tough ones who excel in arts.
I don’t despise their gender, just some parts.
‘I’m here to face the music, clear the air
in person, not on paper. Them that flogs
their products on my show will see I’m fair.
I thank you all for coming. Go the Dogs!’
Go, not so little poem, to Lord knows where,
but first to readers’ eyes by way of blogs.
It’s Jones who speaks in almost every line:
The words that do not please are surely mine.
WP Bookblog Listing
- Black Hammer 4: Age of Doom Part 2 (Jeff Lemire and others 2019) 16 February 2020The backbone mystery of this story has been resolved in Volume 3. Now the world has to be saved (again!).
- Le côté de Guermantes, deuxième partie (Marcel Proust 1920) 16 February 2020After all the talking heads of part 1, part 2 of the third title of À la recherche du temps perdu gets off to a powerful, moving start.
- Belvoir: Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam (Peter Goldsworthy, Steve Rodgers 2018) 16 February 2020I haven't read the Peter Goldsworthy novella this is adapted from. I hated it as a play. The whole thing hinges on a moment in which a parent reassures a terminally ill child by telling her that when she dies he will kill himself to be with her. At least in this production, that moment is just not justified. The set design seemed to belong to a differen […]
- Black Hammer 3: Age of Doom Part 1 (Jeff Lemire and others 2019) 16 February 2020A Christmas present.
- Quarterly Essay 76: Men at Work (Annabel Crabb 2019) 13 February 2020Subtitled Austalia's Parenthood Trap.
- Black Hammer 4: Age of Doom Part 2 (Jeff Lemire and others 2019) 16 February 2020
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Judith Beveridge memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- Journal Blitz 5
- Proust Progress Report 6: halfway through the third book
- Jonas Hassen Khemiri, Everything I Don't Remember
- Bernhard Schlink's Weekend
- Bruce Pascoe's Dark Emu
- Ed Brubaker's Bad Weekend etc
- Proust Progress Report 5: Beginning the third volume
- Audio Books, sadly
- Elizabeth Strout's Olive, Again
- John Le Carré's Agent Running in the Field
- Clive James's River in the Sky
- End of year lists
- Simon Leys' Death of Napoleon
- Nana Kwama Adjei-Brenyah's Friday Black
- Gustason & Uberti's Notes from Public Typewriter