He ends with some denials. ‘I’ve never ever
called a person bitch. It’s not my lingo
(I just read out letters). And I’ve never
likewise called her liar. It’s a thing, though,
the way she promises no tax forever,
she says East Timor, then Malaysia. Ringo
changed his tune less often. Fuel watch!
Liar’s an awful word, but she’s a botch.
‘I didn’t say that women are destroying
the joint – I know it’s on the tape like that,
but I meant just some women. It’s annoying:
I defend them, fund them, I go in to bat
for women ‘cos they don’t waste time enjoying
red wine and cigars at lunch. My hat
is tipped to tough ones who excel in arts.
I don’t despise their gender, just some parts.
‘I’m here to face the music, clear the air
in person, not on paper. Them that flogs
their products on my show will see I’m fair.
I thank you all for coming. Go the Dogs!’
Go, not so little poem, to Lord knows where,
but first to readers’ eyes by way of blogs.
It’s Jones who speaks in almost every line:
The words that do not please are surely mine.
WP Bookblog Listing
- The Australian Dream (Daniel Gordon 2019) 23 February 2020Thhis has finally come to television. Stan Grant's take on the Adam Goodes story. It's a powerful movie.
- Chernobyl (Director Johan Renck, Writer Craig Mazin 2019) 21 February 2020This miniseries is every bit as good as they say. I'm glad I've read Svetlana Alexievich's Chernobyl Prayer as it fills in the background. I'm pretty sure the writer and director of this have read that book too.
- The Incredulity of father Brown ( G K Chesterton 1926) 21 February 2020I loved Chesterton and Father Brown in my early teens. I found this in a street library and decided to revisit them.
- Upright (Tim MInchin 2019) 20 February 2020We subscribed to FoxTel in order to watch this. It's brilliant.
- The Red North (Diane Menghetti 1981) 18 February 2020Subtitled the popular front in North Queensland, this is about a time when North Queensland was significantly more radical than the rest of Australia. Little attempt is made to disguise its origin as an MA thesis, but it's a fascinating subject
- The Australian Dream (Daniel Gordon 2019) 23 February 2020
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Judith Beveridge memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- Jeff Lemire and others' Black Hammer vols 3 & 4
- Annabel Crabb's Men at Work
- Ruby Reads (17): Mardi Gras
- Vicki Hastrich, Charlotte Wood, Night Fishing on the Weekend with the Book Group
- Journal Blitz 5
- Proust Progress Report 6: halfway through the third book
- Jonas Hassen Khemiri, Everything I Don't Remember
- Bernhard Schlink's Weekend
- Bruce Pascoe's Dark Emu
- Ed Brubaker's Bad Weekend etc
- Proust Progress Report 5: Beginning the third volume
- Audio Books, sadly
- Elizabeth Strout's Olive, Again
- John Le Carré's Agent Running in the Field
- Clive James's River in the Sky