November verse 9: In Newtown
Noon, Saturday. As I went walking
King Street South I met a flow,
a gaggle, not a troupe, of talking
mimes – youths dressed à la Marceau:
white face, striped shirt, a red carnation.
Cheerful, noisy desecration.
If mimes aren’t silent, what’s the point?
The times are clearly out of joint.
Then at the bus stop, here’s a scammer:
‘Hi,’ she says, ‘Long time no see!’ …
Then, ‘Would you like to come with me?’
She made no headway with her glamour.
‘Five dollars, then?’ I shook my head.
All when I went to buy some bread.
WP Bookblog Listing
- Frieden / Labyrinth of Peace (2020) 16 October 2021Switzerland in the aftermath of World War Two, facing the consequences of its neutrality – a family drama that encompasses industrial issues, \ and the handling of fleeing Nazis as well as extermination cam survivors.
- Island Magazine 158 (ed. Vern Field 2019) 16 October 2021Island were offering back copies for just the price of postage. I bought two. This one features a long poem by John Bolton.
- Modern Love, Series 2 (John Carney 2021) 14 October 2021Eight more benign love stories based on the New York Times column.
- Frayed, Season 2 (Sarah Kendall 2021) 13 October 2021Still managing to be funny about disgusting and otherwise horrible things.
- The Lowlands of Moyne (Brendan Ryan 2019) 13 October 2021Poems from Brendan Ryan, who gave us why I Am Not a Farmer.
- Frieden / Labyrinth of Peace (2020) 16 October 2021
TagsABC Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon First Nations history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Marcel Proust memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- More Lies from Richard James Allen
- 500 people: Week 33–34
- Ruby Reads 27: Tashi
- George Megalogenis’ Exit Strategy
- The Prelude Progress Report 3
- Aravind Adiga’s Amnesty
- 500 people: Week 32
- Journal Blitz 9
- 500 people: Week 29-31
- The Book Group and Mark McKenna Return to Uluru
- Brian Azzarello’s 100 Bullets
- Alan Finkel’s Getting to Zero
- Zadie Smith’s Intimations
- 500 people: Week 26-28
- The Prelude Progress Report 2