November verse 9: In Newtown
Noon, Saturday. As I went walking
King Street South I met a flow,
a gaggle, not a troupe, of talking
mimes – youths dressed à la Marceau:
white face, striped shirt, a red carnation.
Cheerful, noisy desecration.
If mimes aren’t silent, what’s the point?
The times are clearly out of joint.
Then at the bus stop, here’s a scammer:
‘Hi,’ she says, ‘Long time no see!’ …
Then, ‘Would you like to come with me?’
She made no headway with her glamour.
‘Five dollars, then?’ I shook my head.
All when I went to buy some bread.
Join 692 other subscribers
WP Bookblog Listing
- Staged, Season 3 (Simon Evans & Phin Glynn 2022) 8 December 2022David Tennant and Michael Sheen are back as thoroughly unpleasant actors bickering over a show that almost certainly won't happen, except that we're watching it. Neil Gaiman has a guest appearance at the end of the first episode, and he allows himself to come across as equally unpleasant. It's very funny. Everybody despises Simon Evans, who is […]
- The Tale of the Unknown island (José Saramago, translated by Margaret Jull Costa 1997) 8 December 2022A beautifully designed little book, with illustrations by Peter Sís, this fable about exploration may be for children, but meanwhile It's a perfect read for the sauna (assuming the heat doesn't damage it).
- Belvoir: The Jungle & the Sea (S. Shakthidharan & Eamon Flack 2022) 4 December 2022Image from Belvoir websiteFrom the opening moments in which a blindfolded older woman in a sari dances in silence on an almost bare stage, this is captivating. It's also epic, and feels necessary. It's a joy and a privilege to have seen it.
- Slow Horses Season 2 (James Hawes, from books by Mick Herron 2022) 3 December 2022This terrific show is back. Gary Oldman's character is as gloriously unsavoury and horrible as before.
- Quarterly Essay 87: Uncivil Wars (Waleed Aly & Scott Stephens 2022) 3 December 2022Subtitle: How contempt is corroding democracy. The Minefield meets Quarterly Essay
- Staged, Season 3 (Simon Evans & Phin Glynn 2022) 8 December 2022
TagsABC Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon First Nations history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Marcel Proust memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- This is Happiness, Niall Williams and the Book Group
- November verse 14: Graduation
- November verse 13: Hearing aids
- November verse 12: On a dead goldfish
- Kit Kelen’s Bung Mazes
- November Verse 11: In the sauna
- November Verse 10: Pictures and words
- A Launch
- November Verse 9: Shouting at my phone
- November Verse 8: Graupel
- November Verse 7: Demo
- November Verse 6: Eclipse
- Middlemarch: Progress report 1
- November Verse 5: Active Seniors
- November Verse 4