November verse 9: In Newtown
Noon, Saturday. As I went walking
King Street South I met a flow,
a gaggle, not a troupe, of talking
mimes – youths dressed à la Marceau:
white face, striped shirt, a red carnation.
Cheerful, noisy desecration.
If mimes aren’t silent, what’s the point?
The times are clearly out of joint.
Then at the bus stop, here’s a scammer:
‘Hi,’ she says, ‘Long time no see!’ …
Then, ‘Would you like to come with me?’
She made no headway with her glamour.
‘Five dollars, then?’ I shook my head.
All when I went to buy some bread.
shawjonathan on Ruby reads shawjonathan on Ruby Reads (8): Possum Ma… kathyprokhovnik on Ruby Reads (8): Possum Ma… shawjonathan on Ruby Reads (8): Possum Ma… Charlie Aarons on Ruby Reads (8): Possum Ma… whisperinggums on Ruby reads shawjonathan on Ruby reads
WP Bookblog Listing
- The Good Fight Season 3 (Michelle King, Robert King, Phil Alden Robinson 2019) 23 April 2019Sadly this seems to have jumped the shark. It's anti-Trump topicality interfered with its integrity as fiction. In the second episode, Martin Sheehan's performance sets a new high in of chewing up the scenery. And having a predominantly African-American law firm as the subject, while the most rounded characters are all white becomes unsettling afte […]
- Nashville, Season 5 (Callie Khouri 2016) 18 April 2019We stumbled across this on Stan. It's so good to be back with its full-bodied heart-on-the-sleeve musical soap.
- Agatha and the Truth of Murder (Terry Loane 2018) 17 April 2019We clicked on this, expecting it to be Michael Apted's 1979 film about Agatha Christie's disappearance in 1926. Instead, we got this 2018 Christie imitation – all the suspects in an ancient murder gathered in one place with a keen amateur detective (in this case Agatha Christie herself) and a grumpy detective who is eventually won over. Not brillia […]
- Special (Ryan O'Connell 2019) 17 April 2019Eight 15-minute episodes in the life of a young Gay man with cerebral palsy, as he gets a job as a writer (unpaid, but still), makes friends, leaves home, has sex for the first time (paid for, but sweet). Created and written by Ryan O'Connell, who has cp and plays the main character, whose first name is also Ryan
- Vera Season 8 (based on Ann Cleeves' novels 2018) 15 April 2019Brenda Blethyn continues to be absolutely mesmerising. 'Well, Pet, see how it's turned out for you now.'
- The Good Fight Season 3 (Michelle King, Robert King, Phil Alden Robinson 2019) 23 April 2019
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Gleebooks history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation Turkey
- Ruby Reads (8): Possum Magic
- Sebastian Smee’s Net Loss
- Diana Athill’s Alive, Alive Oh!
- Martin Langford’s Neat Snakes
- Ruby Reads (7)
- Sarah Day’s Towards Light
- Brown and Leos-Urbel on Anti-Semitism
- The Book Group, Goodall and Cadzow, Rivers and Resilience
- The Bankstown Poetry Slam (mainly reposted)
- Ruby Reads (6)
- Brian K Vaughan’s Paper Girls Book 5
- Ruby Reads (5)
- Ruby Reads (4)
- Frederick Macdonald’s Caruse of the Kanowna
- Jeff Lemire and others’ Black Hammer