Verse 5: To be done
Moving home’s no roller-coaster,
no painful climb up, screaming down,
just daily questions like ‘New toaster?’
(answered ‘Yes’, though with a frown)
and wrap the artwork up in bubbles,
smash failed ceramics into rubbles,
organise a picture rail,
fix a redirect for mail,
fill a box with medications,
give away our potted lime,
dump the clock that’s lost its chime,
breathe slow when there’s palpitations
and so nothing will be missed
sit and write a to-do list.
WP Bookblog Listing
- Pain and Glory (Pedro Almadóvar 2019) 9 November 2019This is a film in the Late Style as described by Edward Said. It's engrossing, intensely personal, all over the place, and completely absorbing. It's kind of Eight and a Half without the clever-dickery. In fact, Almadóvar without the clever-dickery. Great performances from Antonio Banderas and Penelope Cruz.
- Crow College (Emma Lew 2019) 9 November 2019New poetry.
- The Red Line (Caitlin Parrish, Erica Weiss 2019) 7 November 2019Ava DuVernay's name is attached to this series: it begins with an African-American doctor being shot by a white cop in a tragic error. No charges are laid against the cop. And things play out in the lives of the bereaved family, the cop and the birth mother of the killed man's adopted daughter. It looks like a great show.
- Wisting (Trygve Allister Diesen & Kathrine Valen Zeiner 2019) 30 October 2019Another promising Scandi crime series, featuring a father and daughter relationshio and in this first series some interesting justing with the FBI officers who are there to help.
- My Name Is Revenge (Ashley Kalagian Blunt 2019) 27 October 2019A book containing essays and a novella. Ashley Kalagian Blunt did a lovely job chairing a session at this year's Sydney Writers' Festival. This is her first book
- Pain and Glory (Pedro Almadóvar 2019) 9 November 2019
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Gleebooks history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Judith Beveridge memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- November verse 5: 11 November 2019
- Ashley Kalagian Blunt, My Name is Revenge; November Verse 4
- November verse 3: Woman with knife
- November verse 2: Grandfatherhood
- November Verse 1: Jacarandas
- Journal Blitz 4
- Proust Progress Report 2: The end of Swann’s Way
- Hope and the Climate Emergency
- Édouard Louis, Who Killed My Father
- Susan Hill’s Black Sheep
- Ruby Reads (16): Other books by …
- The Book Group with A Gentleman in Moscow
- Keri Glastonbury’s Newcastle Sonnets
- Sam Shepard’s Rolling Thunder Logbook
- Children’s Crusade?