Verse 5: To be done
Moving home’s no roller-coaster,
no painful climb up, screaming down,
just daily questions like ‘New toaster?’
(answered ‘Yes’, though with a frown)
and wrap the artwork up in bubbles,
smash failed ceramics into rubbles,
organise a picture rail,
fix a redirect for mail,
fill a box with medications,
give away our potted lime,
dump the clock that’s lost its chime,
breathe slow when there’s palpitations
and so nothing will be missed
sit and write a to-do list.
WP Bookblog Listing
- The Australian Dream (Daniel Gordon 2019) 23 February 2020Thhis has finally come to television. Stan Grant's take on the Adam Goodes story. It's a powerful movie.
- Chernobyl (Director Johan Renck, Writer Craig Mazin 2019) 21 February 2020This miniseries is every bit as good as they say. I'm glad I've read Svetlana Alexievich's Chernobyl Prayer as it fills in the background. I'm pretty sure the writer and director of this have read that book too.
- The Incredulity of father Brown ( G K Chesterton 1926) 21 February 2020I loved Chesterton and Father Brown in my early teens. I found this in a street library and decided to revisit them.
- Upright (Tim MInchin 2019) 20 February 2020We subscribed to FoxTel in order to watch this. It's brilliant.
- The Red North (Diane Menghetti 1981) 18 February 2020Subtitled the popular front in North Queensland, this is about a time when North Queensland was significantly more radical than the rest of Australia. Little attempt is made to disguise its origin as an MA thesis, but it's a fascinating subject
- The Australian Dream (Daniel Gordon 2019) 23 February 2020
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Judith Beveridge memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- Annabel Crabb's Men at Work
- Ruby Reads (17): Mardi Gras
- Vicki Hastrich, Charlotte Wood, Night Fishing on the Weekend with the Book Group
- Journal Blitz 5
- Proust Progress Report 6: halfway through the third book
- Jonas Hassen Khemiri, Everything I Don't Remember
- Bernhard Schlink's Weekend
- Bruce Pascoe's Dark Emu
- Ed Brubaker's Bad Weekend etc
- Proust Progress Report 5: Beginning the third volume
- Audio Books, sadly
- Elizabeth Strout's Olive, Again
- John Le Carré's Agent Running in the Field
- Clive James's River in the Sky
- End of year lists