November verse 9: In Newtown
Noon, Saturday. As I went walking
King Street South I met a flow,
a gaggle, not a troupe, of talking
mimes – youths dressed à la Marceau:
white face, striped shirt, a red carnation.
Cheerful, noisy desecration.
If mimes aren’t silent, what’s the point?
The times are clearly out of joint.
Then at the bus stop, here’s a scammer:
‘Hi,’ she says, ‘Long time no see!’ …
Then, ‘Would you like to come with me?’
She made no headway with her glamour.
‘Five dollars, then?’ I shook my head.
All when I went to buy some bread.
Join 693 other subscribers
WP Bookblog Listing
Reading & watching
- The Outfit (Graham Moore 2022) 28 March 2023A neat play-like movie with Mark Rylance at the centre of it as an Englishman with a tailor shop in gangster Chicago in the 1950s.
- Belvoir: Into the Woods (James Lapine & Steven Sondheim 1987) 26 March 2023Image from Belvoir websiteThis is a brilliant production of a great piece of theatre, directed by Eamon Flack, with music re-orchestrated for piano(s) by Guy Simpson, and an ingenious use of Belvoir's open stage set-up.
- The Years (Annie Ernaux 2008, translation by Alison L Straya 2017) 21 March 2023From last years Nobel Prize laureate
- In Our Blood (2023) 21 March 2023Not a documentary about AIDS arriving in Sydney, but it's hard to tell what it is. At least it understands that Australian governmental response to AIDS was vastly different from what happened in the USA. A Neil Blewett figure is there.
- Macbeth (Bell Shakespeare Company) 18 March 2023Hazem Shammas and Jessica Tovey make a great Macbeth and Lady Macbeth. His non-Angle music makes the language sing, and the stage just lights up every time she's there. Some of the early exposition was incomprehensible gabble, but judging from conversations I overheard in the foyer that didn't matter too much because most of the audience, possibly […]
- The Outfit (Graham Moore 2022) 28 March 2023
TagsABC Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon First Nations history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Marcel Proust memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- Staples and Vaughan’s Saga 10
- Katharine Murphy’s Lone Wolf
- Robbie Arnott, Limberlost and the Book Group
- Sarah Holland-Batt’s Jaguar
- Hilde Hinton’s Solitary Walk on the Moon
- Ocean Vuong’s Time is a Mother
- Middlemarch: Progress report 5
- 2023 NSW Premier’s Literary Awards
- Reading with the Grandies 32: Digger, Digger and Despereaux
- Journal Catch-up 17
- Bryan Hartas, Hard As
- Annie Ernaux’s girl’s story
- Ruby Langford Ginibi’s Haunted by the Past
- Dinner in the Strangers’ Dining Room
- Middlemarch: Progress report 4