November Verse 8: Haircut
They meant it nicely: ‘It’s so fluffy!’
‘Einstein!’ ‘Kramer!’ ‘Snow on top!’
Skype’s corner pic made me look scruffy.
Time at last to go the chop.
Up Enmore Road to Con the barber,
best haircut this side of the Harbour:
‘Good morning, sir. What’s it for you?’
‘Short.’ ‘Short on top?’ ‘Yes, number two.’
So clippers, scissors, cut-throat razor
go to work and soon I’m shorn –
ears, nostrils, eyebrows smooth as lawn.
My head’s now ordered but, rash gazer,
wipe your eye, this state won’t last
the summer out. Hair grows too fast.
Join 692 other followers
WP Bookblog Listing
- The Wharf Revue 2022: Looking for Albanese (Jonathan Biggins, Mandy Bishop, Drew Forsythe, Phillip Scott 2022) 29 November 2022A great 90 minutes of singing, dancing sketch comedy.
- Wednesday (Alfred Gough 2022) 28 November 2022As a teenager I loved Charles Addams' cartoons in The New Yorker, and also what I saw of the original TV series. This series, about Wednesday's time at a boarding school that's like a dark parody of Hogwarts, gives the same pleasure. Tim Burton's direction is just right, and Jenna Ortega as Wednesday is perfect.
- The Ben Book: A father's memoir (Michael Galvin 2020) 28 November 2022A memoir of life with a son who died young
- STC: RGB: Of Many, One (Suzie Miller 2022) 26 November 2022Photo of Heather Mitchell from the STC websiteHeather Mitchell is a marvel in this one-woman play about the life of Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- Antidisturbios (Riot Police) ( Isabel Peña & Rodrigo Sorogoyen 2020) 25 November 2022A brilliant 6-episode series featuring a squad of riot police caught up in violence and investigated for manslaughter.
- The Wharf Revue 2022: Looking for Albanese (Jonathan Biggins, Mandy Bishop, Drew Forsythe, Phillip Scott 2022) 29 November 2022
TagsABC Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon First Nations history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Marcel Proust memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- November verse 14: Graduation
- November verse 13: Hearing aids
- November verse 12: On a dead goldfish
- Kit Kelen’s Bung Mazes
- November Verse 11: In the sauna
- November Verse 10: Pictures and words
- A Launch
- November Verse 9: Shouting at my phone
- November Verse 8: Graupel
- November Verse 7: Demo
- November Verse 6: Eclipse
- Middlemarch: Progress report 1
- November Verse 5: Active Seniors
- November Verse 4
- Ian McEwan’s Lessons: page 75