November Verse 8: Haircut
They meant it nicely: ‘It’s so fluffy!’
‘Einstein!’ ‘Kramer!’ ‘Snow on top!’
Skype’s corner pic made me look scruffy.
Time at last to go the chop.
Up Enmore Road to Con the barber,
best haircut this side of the Harbour:
‘Good morning, sir. What’s it for you?’
‘Short.’ ‘Short on top?’ ‘Yes, number two.’
So clippers, scissors, cut-throat razor
go to work and soon I’m shorn –
ears, nostrils, eyebrows smooth as lawn.
My head’s now ordered but, rash gazer,
wipe your eye, this state won’t last
the summer out. Hair grows too fast.
WP Bookblog Listing
- Atypical, Season 4 (Robia Rashid 2021) 30 July 2021This is the final season. I'm finding Jennifer Jason Leigh's character hard to watch as she seems to be disintegrating physically before our eyes. Otherwise, it gets better and better.
- Meanjin Quarterly: The next 80 years, Volume 79 Issue 4 (ed. Jonathan Green 2020) 28 July 2021It's a long time since I've read a Meanjin. This one is making me regret that.
- Shadow Kingdon (Alma Har'el 2021) 25 July 2021A weirdly lit, weirdly shot, weirdly constructed showcase for Bob Dylan doing some weird revisionist versions of some mostly-early songs. Not a pleasant experience, more like a deliberately alienating one.
- ABC iView: The Story of Film: An Odyssey (Mark Cousins 2011) 23 July 2021This 15 part documentary series looks fabulous. Interesting tidbit from the second episode: the early Hollywood industry was woman dominated – most of the scripts were written by women. Only when it came to be seen as a huge money-maker did the men with money move in and take charge. The perspective is global, deliberately not US-centric.
- An American Pickle (Brandon Trost 2020) 20 July 2021Though written and directed by other people, this is a Seth Rogan project. He plays Herschel Greenbaum, a Polish-Jew immigrant to the US who falls into a pickle vat in 1919 to emerge unchanged in 2019. He also plays Ben Greenbaum, Herschel's app-developing great grandson. It's a comedy that has one or two laughs, and plunges unconvincingly into que […]
- Atypical, Season 4 (Robia Rashid 2021) 30 July 2021
TagsABC Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon First Nations history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Marcel Proust memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- Ruby Reads 25: Ursula K Le Guin
- The Prelude Progress Report 1
- 500 people: Weeks 21–23
- Next-door-to-Marrickville mattress poetry
- Growing up Aboriginal in Australia
- Richard Powers’ Overstory
- Journal Blitz 8a
- 500 people: Week Twenty
- **A new book**
- After Proust, the Prelude?
- 500 people: Week Nineteen
- Janice Galloway’s Trick Is to Keep Breathing at the Book Group
- Proust Progress Report 22: The end
- 500 people: Week Eighteen
- Ayad Akhtar’s Homeland Elegies