November Verse 8: Haircut
They meant it nicely: ‘It’s so fluffy!’
‘Einstein!’ ‘Kramer!’ ‘Snow on top!’
Skype’s corner pic made me look scruffy.
Time at last to go the chop.
Up Enmore Road to Con the barber,
best haircut this side of the Harbour:
‘Good morning, sir. What’s it for you?’
‘Short.’ ‘Short on top?’ ‘Yes, number two.’
So clippers, scissors, cut-throat razor
go to work and soon I’m shorn –
ears, nostrils, eyebrows smooth as lawn.
My head’s now ordered but, rash gazer,
wipe your eye, this state won’t last
the summer out. Hair grows too fast.
WP Bookblog Listing
- Their Finest (Lone Scherfig 2016) 22 April 2017Gemma Arterson and Bill Nighy marvellous in this. We saw it surrounded by very vocal audience members: not only 'What did he say?' '"I won't let that little dog be killed".' / 'Oh no!' etc, but loud immersive laughter every time Bill Nighy raised an eyebrow. Nevertheless, we enjoyed it. It's a great shame, h […]
- Fables 11: War and Pieces (Bill Willingham and others 2008) 22 April 2017My son offered me two comics, each the beginning of a new series. So as not to have too many unfinished serials in my head, I borrowed the remaining volumes of the Fables saga, and have embarked on this bloodthirsty instalment.
- Dicte Series 3 (from novels by Elsebeth Egholm 2016) 21 April 2017In a change of pace, this season starts with Dicte getting married. As you would expect, her new husband is soon in very serious trouble, though not, as the poster might suggest, at the wedding itself.
- Seven Types of Ambiguity (Matchbox Pictures 2017) 21 April 2017From Eliot Perlman's novel, this has a very promising start, like The Slap only interesting. You think you know what you're watching and then at the very end of the first episode you realise you have no idea.
- Unstable Relations (edited by Eve Vincent and Timothy Neale 2016) 19 April 2017I recently heard an Indigenous woman from the Galilee Basin call on non-Indigenous Australians to be led by the Wangan and Jagalingou peoples in the fight against Adani's Carmichael mine. This collection of essays, subtitled 'Indigenous People and Environmentalism in Contemporary Australia' looks like an academic companion piece to that challe […]
- Their Finest (Lone Scherfig 2016) 22 April 2017
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alex Ryan Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Gleebooks history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation Turkey
- Paul Beatty’s Sellout
- David Marr’s White Queen
- David Musgrave’s Anatomy of Voice
- Couplets refusing to be enraged
- Viet Thanh Nguyen’s Sympathizer
- Six months of movie-going
- Hisham Matar’s Return
- Jennifer Maiden’s Metronome (paper)
- The Book Group in an Ian McEwan Nutshell
- Maxine Beneba Clarke’s Hate Race
- Southerly 76/2
- Tom Keneally’s Crimes of the Father
- From my 70th birthday party
- Kim Mahood’s Position Doubtful
- Cavafy for the first time