November Verse 9: Breakfast
While monks on waking go to chapel,
my morning rite is to make juice
from beetroot, carrot, ginger, apple,
celery each day to unloose
what needs unloosing, supplemented –
so ailments may be circumvented –
by multi-probiotic pills
and others for existing ills.
And then, before a cup of java,
there’s sometimes muesli, mostly toast
that’s spread with jam, and, not to boast,
the jam’s from cumquat and guava
grown on our trees and made by me.
This is our daily Glory Be!
WP Bookblog Listing
- YouTube: October: Ten Days that Shook the world (Sergei M Eisenstein 1927) 26 September 2017Made as part of the 10 years anniversary the October Revolution, this is a brilliant movie in its own right and an excellent companion piece to China Miéville's October (2017).
- The King's Choice (Erik Poppe 2016) 25 September 2017A moment in Norwegian history. The king chooses what the film judges to be the lesser of two evils. The wretchedness of a country being invaded is made viscerally real. A spectacular sequence where a German battleship is destroyed by artillery and torpedoes. No Hollywood heroics; no Hollywood resolution.
- Quarterly Essay 67: Moral Panic 011 (Benjamin Law 2017) 24 September 2017Benjamin Law in conversation with David Marr at the Seymour Centre the other night did a great job of making me want to read this: for another horror story about the Australian on the warpath, and also for a factual account of the Safe Schools program that was the target of that mendacious warpath. (And predictably they attacked him personally when the essay […]
- Atypical (Robia Rashid 2017)) 17 September 2017x a family sitcom that revolves around a boy with Aspergers in high school who has managed extraordinarily well up to this point, but whose dawning interest in sex is throwing things into turmoil. Not just played for laughs, but funny just the same.
- Archipelago (Adam Aitken 2017) 17 September 2017It's been a while, but it's great to have another book of Adam Aitken's poetry.
- YouTube: October: Ten Days that Shook the world (Sergei M Eisenstein 1927) 26 September 2017
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alex Ryan Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Gleebooks history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation Turkey
- Benjamin Law’s Moral Panic 101
- Nicola Knox’s Green Light Running
- Ali Alizadeh’s Last Days of Jeanne d’Arc
- Jennifer Maiden’s George and Clare, the Baby and the Bikies
- Australian Poetry Journal 7:1, Skin
- Jennifer Maiden’s George and Clare and the Grey Hat Hacker
- Overland 226
- Jenny Blackford’s Loyalty of Chickens
- Alan Wearne’s Things Are Real
- Madeleine Thien and the Book Group Do Not Say We Have Nothing
- A fortnight in verse 4
- Jennifer Maiden’s Complicity
- A fortnight in verse 3
- A fortnight in verse 2
- Southerly 76/3