November Verse 9: Breakfast
While monks on waking go to chapel,
my morning rite is to make juice
from beetroot, carrot, ginger, apple,
celery each day to unloose
what needs unloosing, supplemented –
so ailments may be circumvented –
by multi-probiotic pills
and others for existing ills.
And then, before a cup of java,
there’s sometimes muesli, mostly toast
that’s spread with jam, and, not to boast,
the jam’s from cumquat and guava
grown on our trees and made by me.
This is our daily Glory Be!
WP Bookblog Listing
- Quarterly Essay 85: Not Waving, Drowning (Sarah Krasnostein 2022) 26 June 2022Subtitle, 'Mental Health and Vulnerability in Australia'. This looks like being a companion piece to Gail Bell's 2005 Quarterly Essay, The Worried Well: The depression epidemic and the medicalisation of our sorrows.
- Stan: My Fair Lady (Directed by George Cukor 1964) 26 June 2022Running at nearly three hours, complete with musical Entr'acte, this is looks deeply weird to me now, though the charming elegance I remember it as possessing when I saw it back then is still in evidence. It's had to imagine a remake, especially a remake by British filmmakers.
- A Stasi COmedy (Leander Haußmann 2022) 25 June 2022The Stasi – the East German secret police – are an unlikely subject for a comedy, but this movie pulls it off. I'd love to hear what old East Germans think of it, though. For me there was a particular pleasure in a moment when we saw a character leaving the station at Prenzlauer Berg, which we did at least daily when visiting Berlin more than a decade a […]
- Starter for 10 (Tom Vaughan 2006) 25 June 2022A nerdy UK college rom com, n which Benedict Cumberbatch and James McAvoy are unbelievably young, not to mention James Corden!
- Becoming Elizabeth (2022) 24 June 2022A bodice-ripping Succession-style Tudor origin story.
- Quarterly Essay 85: Not Waving, Drowning (Sarah Krasnostein 2022) 26 June 2022
TagsABC Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon First Nations history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Marcel Proust memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- Honorée Fanonne Jeffers’ Love Songs of W E B Du Bois
- Kit Kelen’s Book of Mother
- Douglas Stuart’s Shuggie Bain
- The Iliad: Progress report 6
- Five months of theatre-going in 1974
- Journal Catch-up 13
- Clerihews, limerick, double dactyl
- Jimmy Barnes’s Working Class Boy
- SWF 2022, my Sunday
- SWF 2022, my Thursday
- The Iliad: Progress report 5
- Journal Blitz 12
- Rebecca Huntley’s Italian Girl
- Michael Farrell’s Family Trees
- Abdulrazak Gurnah’s Afterlives at the Book Group