November Verse 8: Haircut
They meant it nicely: ‘It’s so fluffy!’
‘Einstein!’ ‘Kramer!’ ‘Snow on top!’
Skype’s corner pic made me look scruffy.
Time at last to go the chop.
Up Enmore Road to Con the barber,
best haircut this side of the Harbour:
‘Good morning, sir. What’s it for you?’
‘Short.’ ‘Short on top?’ ‘Yes, number two.’
So clippers, scissors, cut-throat razor
go to work and soon I’m shorn –
ears, nostrils, eyebrows smooth as lawn.
My head’s now ordered but, rash gazer,
wipe your eye, this state won’t last
the summer out. Hair grows too fast.
WP Bookblog Listing
- Binge: Rebecka Martinsson: Arctic Murders Season 2 (from books by Åsa Larsson 2020) 1 August 2020Three years after the end of the first season, and Rebecka is played by a different actor, though most of the other characters stil look the same. Will she and Krister get together? Will the regular murders be solved. The respective answers are 'Intermittently' and 'Yes'.
- The Colony (Grace Karskens 2009) 31 July 2020This has been on my to-be-read shelf since I read Tom Griffiths' The Art of Time Travel.
- Rebecka Martinsson: Arctic Murders (from Åsa Larsson novels 2017) 28 July 2020A Swedish version of Midsomer Murders: not a lot of comedy and a lot of snow, and plenty of murder.
- Agency (William Gibson 2020) 25 July 2020This was a birthday gift months ago. William Gibson of 2020 is not the William Gibson of Neuromancer, but he can still grab you from the first page.
- Towards the End (Ali Alizadeh 2020) 23 July 2020Poetry hot off the press by the author of The last days of Jeanne d'Arc.
- Binge: Rebecka Martinsson: Arctic Murders Season 2 (from books by Åsa Larsson 2020) 1 August 2020
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Judith Beveridge memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- William Gibson’s Agency
- These socks were made for walking
- SWF 2020, Post 5
- Ellen van Neerven’s Throat
- Proust Progress Report 11: Luminous something of the inner life
- AndAlso Books, All We Could Do
- Ellen van Neerven’s Comfort Food
- SWF 2020, Post 4
- Margaret Simons’s Cry Me a River
- Mirandi Riwoe’s Stone Sky Gold Mountain
- SWF 2020, Post 3
- My Brilliant Friend at the Book Group
- Lisa Gorton’s Empirical
- Proust Progress Report 10:
- SWF 2020, Post 2