November Verse 8: Haircut
They meant it nicely: ‘It’s so fluffy!’
‘Einstein!’ ‘Kramer!’ ‘Snow on top!’
Skype’s corner pic made me look scruffy.
Time at last to go the chop.
Up Enmore Road to Con the barber,
best haircut this side of the Harbour:
‘Good morning, sir. What’s it for you?’
‘Short.’ ‘Short on top?’ ‘Yes, number two.’
So clippers, scissors, cut-throat razor
go to work and soon I’m shorn –
ears, nostrils, eyebrows smooth as lawn.
My head’s now ordered but, rash gazer,
wipe your eye, this state won’t last
the summer out. Hair grows too fast.
Join 694 other subscribers
WP Bookblog Listing
- Tár (Todd Field 2022) 27 January 2023A brilliant performance by Kate Blanchett. I think the fuss about it is part of the all too usual pre-Oscars nastiness.
- Fear Agent Final edition volume 2 (Rick Remender and others 2018) 26 January 2023The second half of my annual comics gift.
- Fear Agent Final edition volume 1 (Rick Remender and others 2018) 24 January 2023The first half of my annual gift of comics
- Overland 247 (ed Evelyn Araluen & Jonathan Dunk, Winter 2022) 21 January 2023This issue kicks off with an excellent essay on Wake in Fright, the novel and the movie.
- SBS On Demand: Pandore (2022) 21 January 2023A Belgian political thriller.
- Tár (Todd Field 2022) 27 January 2023
TagsABC Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon First Nations history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Marcel Proust memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- Rick Remender’s Fear Agent 1 & 2
- Summer reads 7: Gabriel Zaid’s So Many Books
- Summer reads 6: Jane Gibian’s Beneath the Tree Line
- Summer reads 5: Claire Potter’s Acanthus
- Middlemarch: Progress report 3
- Summer reads 4: Javier Zamora’s Unaccompanied
- Summer reads 3: Tracy Ryan’s Rose Interior
- Summer reads 2: The Gleaner Song Lin
- Summer reads 1: Mario Vargas Llosa in praise of reading and fiction
- End of year lists 2022
- Jessica Au’s cold enough for snow
- Journal Catch-up 16
- Kathryn Mannix With the End in Mind
- Michael Galvin’s Ben Book
- Aly and Stephens, Uncivil Wars