OK, so we’ve been away from home for just over a week, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen so much art in so short a time. Such is life when shared with an Art Student. Here’s a partial list of the artists we’ve seen so far, in Los Angeles and New York, with many more to come.
WP Bookblog Listing
- The Book of Psalms (translated with a commentary by Robert Alter 2007) 13 July 2020This is from the Book(-swapping) Club. I doubt if I'll read it all, but I recited psalms in chorus every day for five years of my teens and early twenties, so I'm returning to them with an expectation of joy.
- Vera, Series 9 (Based on Ann Cleeves's novels, 2019) 12 July 2020The long-awaited return of Brenda Blethyn and her hat and coat, while the UK is already finished with season 10. The first episode of this season is watchable, but it does feel pretty mechanical. I'm still hopefull for teh rest.
- The Yield (Tara June Winch 2019) 10 July 2020This was a big winner at the 2020 NSW Premier's Literary Awards.
- Netflix: Line of Duty season 5 (Jed Mercurio 2019) 10 July 2020This is lining up to be another great season of this British cop show. There's a twist at the end of the first episode overturns your assumption that you knew the story, so that you now think you know the story, but knowing the kind of beast that this show is, you really have no idea.
- Throat (Ellen van Neerven 2020) 6 July 2020Ellen van Neerven talked about this book in one of the 2020 Sydney Writers' Festival podcast sessions. I had to buy it.
- The Book of Psalms (translated with a commentary by Robert Alter 2007) 13 July 2020
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Judith Beveridge memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- Proust Progress Report 11: Luminous something of the inner life
- AndAlso Books, All We Could Do
- Ellen van Neerven’s Comfort Food
- SWF 2020, Post 4
- Margaret Simons’s Cry Me a River
- Mirandi Riwoe’s Stone Sky Gold Mountain
- SWF 2020, Post 3
- My Brilliant Friend at the Book Group
- Lisa Gorton’s Empirical
- Proust Progress Report 10:
- SWF 2020, Post 2
- I didn’t go to the Vigil today …
- Hilary Mantel’s The Mirror and the Light
- Ruby Reads 21: Books lent by a blog reader
- Camperdown Cemetery