What might have been a blog entry grew up to be a paid review.
WP Bookblog Listing
- NetFlix: Staged, season 2 (Simon Evans 2021) 22 February 2021Even funnier!The show goes to the US, or does it?
- Minari (Lee Isaac Chung 2020) 21 February 2021This feels as if it comes from the writer-director's own childhood. A little boy, his parents, sister and grandmother struggle to make a small farm work in rural Arkansas. It's very beautiful to look at, and wonderful in many other ways, particularly in the way it makes mainstream Americans seem strange when we see them through Korean immigrant eye […]
- The Little Things (John Lee Hancock 2021) 19 February 2021A Hollywood procedural of a kind that is fast being replaced by quality TV. wonderful to see Denzel Washington as a detective past his prime. Rami Malek and Jared Leto also terrific. Major improbabilities in the climactic scene.
- The Dry (Robert Connolly 2021) 17 February 2021Eric Bana is marvellous as the top cop returning to the country town he left under a cloud as a teenager. The outback country is beautifully photographed. The local publican is a tiny wonder of wry humour, both as written and as performed by (Eddie Baroo). The police procedural elements left a lot to be desired: red herrings were obvious, the villain was sig […]
- Cry Wolf (Maja Jul Larsen 2020) 15 February 2021Created by Maja Jul Larsen, who was a writer for Borgen and The Legacy, this tells the aftermath of a 14 year old girl writing an essay describing her stepfather beating her. A caseworker from the municipality is convinced that she is describing something real, and has her and her brother immediately removed. we've watched four episodes and we still can […]
- NetFlix: Staged, season 2 (Simon Evans 2021) 22 February 2021
TagsABC Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon First Nations history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Marcel Proust memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- 500 people: Week One
- The Book Group on David Mitchell’s Utopia Avenue
- Anne Enright’s Green Road
- Proust Progress Report 18: The beginning of the end
- Ruby Reads 23: Hugs, a Bag and a Violin
- Claire Messud’s Kant’s Little Prussian Head
- Ruby Reads 22:
- *** New Book***
- Kathy O’Shaughnessy’s In Love with George Eliot
- Jeff Lemire’s Ascender Vols One and Two
- Amanda Gorman!
- Proust Progress Report 17: She’s still gone
- Susanna Clarke’s Piranesi
- Lemire & Sorrentino’s Gideon Falls 5
- A New Year’s sighting of the Marrickville Mattress Poet