Join 694 other subscribers
WP Bookblog Listing
- Bloodlands Series 2 (Jed Mercurio Season 2) 4 February 2023This excellent Northern Island cop show returns, but now we know that the James Nesbitt character definitely has historical blood on his hands.
- Poker Face (Rian Johnson 2023) 4 February 2023The fabulous Natasha Lyonne from Russian Doll returns as someone with the gift of unerringly detecting lies. She's in trouble but Columbo-like uncovers murderers wherever she goes.
- What's Love Got to Do with It? (Shekhar Kapur 2022) 4 February 2023A perfectly OK romcom, broadly predictable as all romcoms need to be, with occasional surprises and a scenery chewing performance from Emma Thompson as the white woman who just loves her Pakistani neighbours and is routinely forgiven for her regular cultural faux pas. Both leads – Lily James and Shazad Latif – are charming.
- Mostly Martha (Sandra Nettelbeck 2001) 31 January 2023A romantic comedy with lots of food preparation and an orphaned eight-year-old..
- Belvoir: Blue (Thomas Weatherall 2023) 29 January 2023Image from Belvoir website'Getting older is inevitable, but growing up takes courage.' The advertising tagline for this play isn't exactly aimed at Belvoir's usual audience, many of whom know that getting older does take quite a bit of courage.However, the play itself, a one-hander featuring the writer, and brilliantly directed by Deborah […]
- Bloodlands Series 2 (Jed Mercurio Season 2) 4 February 2023
TagsABC Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon First Nations history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Marcel Proust memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- Gregory Day’s Words Are Eagles
- Rick Remender’s Fear Agent 1 & 2
- Summer reads 7: Gabriel Zaid’s So Many Books
- Summer reads 6: Jane Gibian’s Beneath the Tree Line
- Summer reads 5: Claire Potter’s Acanthus
- Middlemarch: Progress report 3
- Summer reads 4: Javier Zamora’s Unaccompanied
- Summer reads 3: Tracy Ryan’s Rose Interior
- Summer reads 2: The Gleaner Song Lin
- Summer reads 1: Mario Vargas Llosa in praise of reading and fiction
- End of year lists 2022
- Jessica Au’s cold enough for snow
- Journal Catch-up 16
- Kathryn Mannix With the End in Mind
- Michael Galvin’s Ben Book