Have a look at this sign in a cake shop in Norton Street Plaza, Leichhardt. Sam Cavallaro probably feels he has crafted a memorable slogan. Clearly he has saved quite a bit of money by not employing a copy writer or an editor. What I love is the way it refuses to yield up a clear meaning. The dollar may lose its value with inflation, but these cakes are good even when they’re stale? No, that can’t be it. Perhaps: our cakes may seem expensive, but you’ll stop worrying about the cost when you actually eat them? But surely that isn’t it either. I know we’re not meant to scrutinise it like this, but honestly it’s not derision I feel but a kind of awe at its koan-ishness.
WP Bookblog Listing
- The Good Fight (Michelle King & Robert King 2017) 20 August 2017Christine Baranski / Diane Lockhart is back. whoopee!
- Baby Driver (Edgar Wright 2017) 20 August 2017This is pretty much vehicle ballet, with added guns. I loved it.
- The Last Days of Jeanne d'Arc (Ali Alizadeh 2017) 15 August 2017Fresh from Giramondo.
- Below the Surface (Kasper Barfoed 2017) 15 August 2017SBS on Demand is an endless supply of excellent Scandinavian thrillers. This is a hostage drama where you really can't be sure the heroes will survive, or that dark secrets won't be revealed well before the end. The Danish title, Gidseltagningen, translates literally as Hostage Crisis
- Younger, Seasons 2, 3 & 4 (Darren Star 2015–17) 15 August 2017Silly but hip sitcom that actually expects viewers to be somewhat literate (the action happens in a publishing house, and there are increasing references to some of the more bizarre recent happenings in US public life, I laugh often.
- The Good Fight (Michelle King & Robert King 2017) 20 August 2017
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alex Ryan Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Gleebooks history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation Turkey
- Alan Wearne’s Things Are Real
- Madeleine Thien and the Book Group Do Not Say We Have Nothing
- A fortnight in verse 4
- Jennifer Maiden’s Complicity
- A fortnight in verse 3
- A fortnight in verse 2
- Southerly 76/3
- A fortnight in verse 1
- Shevaun Cooley’s Homing
- Vincent and Neale’s Unstable Relations
- Topical verse
- The Book Group at Kevin Barry’s City of Bohane
- Cathy McLennan’s Saltwater
- Saga 7