I wouldn’t have noticed this but for a young girl who read it out loud to her mother just as I was walking past. It’s on a building site just around the corner from my place.
Join 786 other followers
WP Bookblog Listing
- Uncoupled ( Jeffrey Richman & Darren Star 2022) 8 August 2022Neil Patrick Harris holds this together as a gay man who is dumped without warning by his partner of 17 years. It has been described as Sex and the City only with actual gay men. well, I never took to S&tS, but this stays charming. I especially like the inscrutable affability of Colin the dumper.
- Fixing the Broken Nightingale (Richard James Allen 2013) 8 August 2022Another in Flying Island's Australian Pocket Poets series
- La Boîte: An Ideal Husband (Lewis Treston, after Oscar Wilde 2022) 6 August 2022We went to this with high hopes, but although most of the audience seemed to love it, laughing heartily at things invisible to me, I thought it was abysmal: badly paced, grimaced and shouted rather than acted, cynical about politics with a reactionary and misogynistic undercurrent. Poor Oscar. That is my impression of the first half. The second half may hav […]
- Late Journals (Antigone Kefala 2022) 3 August 2022While everyone's talking about Helen Garner's diaries, here's another Australian literary diary keeper.
- Terminally Poetic (Ouyang Yu 2022) 2 August 2022A line lit on at random – 'I call it mediocrity whose name is australian poetry' – reminds me why I approach Ouyang Yu's work with caution. Either he is describing himself as mediocre or he is worryingly exceptionalist. But worrying isn't the worst thing poetry can be, so here goes.
- Uncoupled ( Jeffrey Richman & Darren Star 2022) 8 August 2022
TagsABC Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon First Nations history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Marcel Proust memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- Ouyang Yu’s Terminally Poetic
- Two Flying Island pocket poets
- Les Murray’s Continuous Creation
- Bernadine Evaristo’s Girl, Woman, Other
- John Blay’s Wild Nature
- The Iliad: Progress report 8
- Journal Catch-up 14
- Peter Wohlleben’s Hidden Life of Trees at the book group
- Kit Kelen’s Poor Man’s Coat
- Sarah Krasnostein’s Not Waving, Drowning
- Charmian Clift’s Mermaid Singing
- A tiny footnote on Frank Moorhouse
- The Iliad: Progress report 7
- Honorée Fanonne Jeffers’ Love Songs of W E B Du Bois
- Kit Kelen’s Book of Mother