Have a look at this sign in a cake shop in Norton Street Plaza, Leichhardt. Sam Cavallaro probably feels he has crafted a memorable slogan. Clearly he has saved quite a bit of money by not employing a copy writer or an editor. What I love is the way it refuses to yield up a clear meaning. The dollar may lose its value with inflation, but these cakes are good even when they’re stale? No, that can’t be it. Perhaps: our cakes may seem expensive, but you’ll stop worrying about the cost when you actually eat them? But surely that isn’t it either. I know we’re not meant to scrutinise it like this, but honestly it’s not derision I feel but a kind of awe at its koan-ishness.
WP Bookblog Listing
- The Casketeers Season 1 (Annabelle Lee-Harris 2018) 7 August 2020This looks like a mockumentary but apparently it's the real thing. It follows Maori funeral directors Francis and Kaiora Tipene and their staff as they go about their work.I had to check, and found that Tipene Funerals really does exist in Auckland. The Tipenes don't mind making themselves look silly, yet they manage to treat the deceased with resp […]
- The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind (Chiwetel Ejiofor 2019) 7 August 2020A wonderful film written and directed by the star of Twelve Years a Slave, set in Malawi, about a young boy who persists with what he learns at in the school library to save his village from disaster.
- The Devil's Playground (Fred Schepisi 1976) 4 August 2020I have no idea what anyone else will make of the film, but it captures an era in Catholicism in Australia, and an experience of it that is very close to my own. So of course I want to argue with it some of the time, but at others can barely believe my eyes, and especially ears. I love it.
- Shetland Series 5 (based on novels by Ann Cleeves 2019) 4 August 2020This was on just before Vera on Sunday night, so we got a double dose of Ann Cleeves and fabulous British scenery.
- Amazon: Local Hero (Bill Forsyth 1983) 4 August 2020This is as much fun as it was 37 years ago, except now there's the added wonder of seeing Peter Capaldi as a gawky young man.
- The Casketeers Season 1 (Annabelle Lee-Harris 2018) 7 August 2020
TagsABC Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon First Nations history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Judith Beveridge memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- Tara June Winch’s Yield
- William Gibson’s Agency
- These socks were made for walking
- SWF 2020, Post 5
- Ellen van Neerven’s Throat
- Proust Progress Report 11: Luminous something of the inner life
- AndAlso Books, All We Could Do
- Ellen van Neerven’s Comfort Food
- SWF 2020, Post 4
- Margaret Simons’s Cry Me a River
- Mirandi Riwoe’s Stone Sky Gold Mountain
- SWF 2020, Post 3
- My Brilliant Friend at the Book Group
- Lisa Gorton’s Empirical
- Proust Progress Report 10: