Last year a woman premier presented the NSW Premier’s Literary Awards at the Art Gallery. Tonight a non-Labor premier, just as rare a beast in the 10 of these dinners I’ve been to, did it at the Opera Point Marquee, … Continue reading
WP Bookblog Listing
- Jack Irish Season 3 (Peter Temple, Andrew Knight and others 2021) 15 June 2021Time is passing and the first episode of this series has a couple of shocking developments, apart from Jack having hus usual terrible time.
- Heroic Losers (Sebastián Borensztein 2019) 12 June 2021Spanish title is La odisea de los giles, which I think means Fools' Odyssey. It's a pleasant enough comedy heist movie. It probably loses a lot in translation. I found myself for the first time ever wondering what an Australian remake would be like.
- Cousins (Ainsley GardinerBriar & Grace Smith 2019) 11 June 2021A story of three Maori girl cousins with a strong allegorical feel: one stays on the marai, one goes to university and becomes a lawyer, the third is taken from her family and becomes a lost soul.
- The Trick is to Keep Breathing (Janice Galloway 1989) 10 June 2021This is for the Book Group, a classic Scottish novel..
- Minamata (Andrew Levitas 2020) 7 June 2021A strange hotchpotch of a movie, trying to avoid the White Saviour trope while having Johnny Depp as the star. The story of the village of Minamata taking on a huge company that was poisoning their water with mercury, and using US photographer W Eugene Smith to catch international attention. Johnny Depp's voice is wonderful, and there are some Kurosawa- […]
- Jack Irish Season 3 (Peter Temple, Andrew Knight and others 2021) 15 June 2021
TagsABC Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon First Nations history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Marcel Proust memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- 500 people: Week Seventeen
- 500 people: Week Sixteen
- Evelyn Araluen’s Dropbear
- Journal Blitz 7
- 500 people: Week Fifteen
- 500 people: Week Fourteen
- Christos Tsiolkas’ Damascus
- 500 people: Week Thirteen
- Proust Progress Report 21
- The Book Group and Lamorna Ash’s Dark, Salt, Clear
- Eileen Chong’s Thousand Crimson Blooms
- 500 people: Week Twelve
- SWF 2021 Sunday
- SWF 2021 Saturday
- SWF 2021: Friday