Last year my son Liam was one of the team that created Social Fireflies for the Vivid festival. This year they’re producing Screaming Rapture. The social fireflies moved in response to light, from outside or from each other. The louvres of the rapture respond to sound. You make a noise. They flash. I don’t know about the title, but it’s looking cool.
cam on Australian Poetry Journal 7:2,… shawjonathan on Australian Poetry Journal 7:2,… Cam Lowe on Australian Poetry Journal 7:2,… Anne Bell on Ruby reads kathyprokhovnik on Ruby reads shawjonathan on Ruby reads shawjonathan on Ruby reads
WP Bookblog Listing
- In the Long Run (Idris Elba 2018) 16 February 2019This is a wonderful show featuring an African immigrant family in London in the 1980s, tucked away on ABC Comedy. It takes a while to recognise Idris Elba as the genial father. Sadly it looks as if there are only 7 episodes. We started watching it after seeing If Beale Street Could Talk at the movies – it's an excellent pairing.
- If Beale Street Could Talk (Barry Jenkins 2018) 15 February 2019The same slow pace as Moonlight, the same lingering on beautiful black faces and bodies, plus a reverential treatment of a James Baldwin novel make this a striking film. I wasn't completely pulled into the mood, and found myself thinking about the movie rather than being immersed, but it's pretty bloody great.
- A Very English Scandal (Stephen Frears 2018) 11 February 2019Written by Russell T Davies, starring Ben Wishaw as an emotionally voltile young man and Hugh Grant as a politician with lots of charm to which the viewer is immune, this is terrific.
- Anti-Semitism (Cherie R Brown & Amy Leos-Urbel 2018) 10 February 2019A short pamphlet that offers what it says on the lid.
- Lila (Marilynne Robinson 2016) 10 February 2019The third book in the Gilead series.
- In the Long Run (Idris Elba 2018) 16 February 2019
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Gleebooks history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation Turkey
- Ruby reads
- Katharine Margot Toohey’s Vera Rudner
- Christa Wolf’s One Day a Year 2001–2011
- Joyce Carol Oates’ Hazards of Time Travel
- Elieen Chong’s Uncommon Feast
- Mary Oliver’s Twenty Moons
- Jason Lutes’s Berlin
- Phillipa McGuinness’s Year Everything Changed
- Vale Mary Oliver
- Alexis Wright’s Tracker
- Richard F Thomas, Why Dylan Matters
- John Purcell’s Girl on the Page
- *** New Merch***
- End of year lists
- #aww2018 & #aww2019