Here’s a wonderful video, Roger Hallam, co-founder of Britain’s Extinction Rebellion talks to a hall full of people in Penzance:
WP Bookblog Listing
- Loot (Maya Rudolph 2022) 26 June 2022This series about the wife of a tech billionaire who is suddenly divorced but phenomenally wealthy starts out with some fairly revolting images of gross wealth and self indulgence, but we're told it becomes more interesting after the first couple of episodes as she tries to get involved in her Foundation's charity work.
- Belvoir: Sexual Misconduct of the Middle Classes (Hannah Moscovitch 2020) 26 June 2022Image from Belvoir websiteThis MTC production of a Canadian two-hander is excellent. Both actors – Dan Spielman and Izabella Yena – are pitch perfect, and the writing raises uncomfortable questions which it resolves beautifully.
- Quarterly Essay 85: Not Waving, Drowning (Sarah Krasnostein 2022) 26 June 2022Subtitle, 'Mental Health and Vulnerability in Australia'. This looks like being a companion piece to Gail Bell's 2005 Quarterly Essay, The Worried Well: The depression epidemic and the medicalisation of our sorrows.
- Stan: My Fair Lady (Directed by George Cukor 1964) 26 June 2022Running at nearly three hours, complete with musical Entr'acte, this is looks deeply weird to me now, though the charming elegance I remember it as possessing when I saw it back then is still in evidence. It's had to imagine a remake, especially a remake by British filmmakers.
- A Stasi COmedy (Leander Haußmann 2022) 25 June 2022The Stasi – the East German secret police – are an unlikely subject for a comedy, but this movie pulls it off. I'd love to hear what old East Germans think of it, though. For me there was a particular pleasure in a moment when we saw a character leaving the station at Prenzlauer Berg, which we did at least daily when visiting Berlin more than a decade a […]
- Loot (Maya Rudolph 2022) 26 June 2022
TagsABC Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon First Nations history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Marcel Proust memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- Honorée Fanonne Jeffers’ Love Songs of W E B Du Bois
- Kit Kelen’s Book of Mother
- Douglas Stuart’s Shuggie Bain
- The Iliad: Progress report 6
- Five months of theatre-going in 1974
- Journal Catch-up 13
- Clerihews, limerick, double dactyl
- Jimmy Barnes’s Working Class Boy
- SWF 2022, my Sunday
- SWF 2022, my Thursday
- The Iliad: Progress report 5
- Journal Blitz 12
- Rebecca Huntley’s Italian Girl
- Michael Farrell’s Family Trees
- Abdulrazak Gurnah’s Afterlives at the Book Group