Here’s a wonderful video, Roger Hallam, co-founder of Britain’s Extinction Rebellion talks to a hall full of people in Penzance:
WP Bookblog Listing
- Meanjin Quarterly: The next 80 years, Volume 79 Issue 4 (ed. Jonathan Green 2020) 28 July 2021It's a long time since I've read a Meanjin. This one is making me regret that.
- Shadow Kingdon (Alma Har'el 2021) 25 July 2021A weirdly lit, weirdly shot, weirdly constructed showcase for Bob Dylan doing some weird revisionist versions of some mostly-early songs. Not a pleasant experience, more like a deliberately alienating one.
- ABC iView: The Story of Film: An Odyssey (Mark Cousins 2011) 23 July 2021This 15 part documentary series looks fabulous. Interesting tidbit from the second episode: the early Hollywood industry was woman dominated – most of the scripts were written by women. Only when it came to be seen as a huge money-maker did the men with money move in and take charge. The perspective is global, deliberately not US-centric.
- An American Pickle (Brandon Trost 2020) 20 July 2021Though written and directed by other people, this is a Seth Rogan project. He plays Herschel Greenbaum, a Polish-Jew immigrant to the US who falls into a pickle vat in 1919 to emerge unchanged in 2019. He also plays Ben Greenbaum, Herschel's app-developing great grandson. It's a comedy that has one or two laughs, and plunges unconvincingly into que […]
- ABC & iView: Innocent, Season 2 (Matthew Arlidge & Chris Lang 2021) 19 July 2021This isn't a continuation of the first series, but a brand new story of a woman who has been definitively found not guilty of a murder she was convicted for years earlier. As in the first series, the protagonist seeks to rebuild her life in a community that still sees her as criminal while the hunt for the actual murderer goes on. Katherine Kelly as the […]
- Meanjin Quarterly: The next 80 years, Volume 79 Issue 4 (ed. Jonathan Green 2020) 28 July 2021
TagsABC Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon First Nations history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Marcel Proust memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- The Prelude Progress Report 1
- 500 people: Weeks 21–23
- Next-door-to-Marrickville mattress poetry
- Growing up Aboriginal in Australia
- Richard Powers’ Overstory
- Journal Blitz 8a
- 500 people: Week Twenty
- **A new book**
- After Proust, the Prelude?
- 500 people: Week Nineteen
- Janice Galloway’s Trick Is to Keep Breathing at the Book Group
- Proust Progress Report 22: The end
- 500 people: Week Eighteen
- Ayad Akhtar’s Homeland Elegies
- 500 people: Week Seventeen