Last year a woman premier presented the NSW Premier’s Literary Awards at the Art Gallery. Tonight a non-Labor premier, just as rare a beast in the 10 of these dinners I’ve been to, did it at the Opera Point Marquee, … Continue reading
WP Bookblog Listing
- The Incredulity of father Brown ( G K Chesterton 1926) 21 February 2020I loved Chesterton and Father Brown in my early teens. I found this in a street library and decided to revisit them.
- Upright (Tim MInchin 2019) 20 February 2020We subscribed to FoxTel in order to watch this. It's brilliant.
- The Red North (Diane Menghetti 1981) 18 February 2020Subtitled the popular front in North Queensland, this is about a time when North Queensland was significantly more radical than the rest of Australia. Little attempt is made to disguise its origin as an MA thesis, but it's a fascinating subject
- Black Hammer 4: Age of Doom Part 2 (Jeff Lemire and others 2019) 16 February 2020The backbone mystery of this story has been resolved in Volume 3. Now the world has to be saved (again!).
- Le côté de Guermantes, deuxième partie (Marcel Proust 1920) 16 February 2020After all the talking heads of part 1, part 2 of the third title of À la recherche du temps perdu gets off to a powerful, moving start.
- The Incredulity of father Brown ( G K Chesterton 1926) 21 February 2020
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Judith Beveridge memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- Ruby Reads (17): Mardi Gras
- Vicki Hastrich, Charlotte Wood, Night Fishing on the Weekend with the Book Group
- Journal Blitz 5
- Proust Progress Report 6: halfway through the third book
- Jonas Hassen Khemiri, Everything I Don't Remember
- Bernhard Schlink's Weekend
- Bruce Pascoe's Dark Emu
- Ed Brubaker's Bad Weekend etc
- Proust Progress Report 5: Beginning the third volume
- Audio Books, sadly
- Elizabeth Strout's Olive, Again
- John Le Carré's Agent Running in the Field
- Clive James's River in the Sky
- End of year lists
- Simon Leys' Death of Napoleon