Today’s Inner West Courier has the story and photo.
WP Bookblog Listing
- The Drover's Wife: The Legend of Molly Johnson (Leah Purcell 2022) 15 May 2022This is wonderful. Leah Purcell, wrote it, directed it and is on screen for almost every minute of it. It's moved a long way from Henry Lawson's short story that inspired it, but includes a sweet homage to his mother Louisa Lawson.
- Operation Mincemeat (John Madden 2021) 13 May 2022Not a great film, but a pleasant enough time in the picture theatre. The story itself, of a bizarre deceptive strategy that was crucial to the Allies' success in the war against Nazism, is fascinating.
- Working Class Boy (Jimmy Barnes 2016) 13 May 2022I saw the film based o the stage show based on this book some years ago. Blog post here, I'm now reading the book as counterpoint / reinforcement to Shuggie Bain. They have a lot in common besides being set in Glasgow, but I expect the differences to be instructive.
- COBRA (Ben Richards 2020) 13 May 2022Political intrigue in the middle of a natural disaster – it's not even Climate Change or Terrorism,
- Netflix: Rebellion Season 2 (Colin Teevan 2019) 13 May 2022The first season ended in the harsh repression at the end of the Dublin Easter Uprising. This one takes up the story half a decade later with the continuing resistance and the outlawed republican government i hiding. Netflix original series set in Ireland gives us significant historical stories. In Australia they give us Byron Baes.
- The Drover's Wife: The Legend of Molly Johnson (Leah Purcell 2022) 15 May 2022
TagsABC Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon First Nations history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Marcel Proust memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- The Iliad: Progress report 5
- Journal Blitz 12
- Rebecca Huntley’s Italian Girl
- Michael Farrell’s Family Trees
- Abdulrazak Gurnah’s Afterlives at the Book Group
- Books read on the road
- Adam Aitken’s Revenants
- Ruby Reads 30: Billie B Brown
- NSW Premier’s Literary Awards shortlist
- The Iliad: Progress report 4
- The Reckoning by Jess Hill
- Archie Roach’s Tell Me Why
- Amanda Lohrey’s Vertigo
- Joe Sacco’s Palestine
- Curdella Forbes’s Tall History of Sugar