WP Bookblog Listing
- Chernobyl Prayer (Svetlana Alexievich 1997, trans Anna Gunin & Arch Tait 2016) 23 October 2017Svetlana Alexievich won the Nobel Prize in Literature for 2013. The Book Group continues its Soviet theme.
- Stan: Persepolis ( Vincent Paronnaud & Marjane Satrapi 2008) 21 October 2017It's a long time since I read Marjane Satrapi's brilliant Persepolis comics. The film has much more about the history of Iran than I remembered. It was a wonderful antidote to a vapid film we'd just paid to see at the movies.
- Home Again (Hallie Meyers-Shier 2017) 21 October 2017The best thing about this movie is that it gave a youngish woman writer director a go. I did laugh a couple of times, but the best laugh was when the young women behind me gasped at one of a particularly sexist lines – that is to say, their relish of the moment amplified it enough for me to enjoy it too. Mostly, despite Reece Witherspoon, Michael Sheen and C […]
- Blade Runner 2049 (Denis Villeneuve 2017) 20 October 2017Is there a word that means 'bombastic' but has entirely positive connotations? That's the word I want to use about this movie. And as someone asked on Twitter, 'What happened to Deckard's dog?'
- Descender Vol 4: Orbital Mechanics (Jeff Lemire, Dustin Nguyen and others 2017) 19 October 2017A tiny life in jeopardy as the whole galaxy is on the brink of war. Similar concern to Blade Runner's to challenge the human–machine dichotomy.
- Chernobyl Prayer (Svetlana Alexievich 1997, trans Anna Gunin & Arch Tait 2016) 23 October 2017
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alex Ryan Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Gleebooks history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation Turkey
- Lemire and Nguyen’s Descender continues
- The rest of Ed Brubaker’s Velvet
- Velvet and Descender begin
- Subbed In’s first books
- Boori Monty Prior & Jan Ormerod Shake a Leg
- Keigo Higashino’s Salvation of a Saint
- My mother and the non-binding, non-compulsory postal survey on same-sex marriage
- To Be Honest in Bankstown
- The Book Group and China Miéville’s October
- Benjamin Law’s Moral Panic 101
- Nicola Knox’s Green Light Running
- Ali Alizadeh’s Last Days of Jeanne d’Arc
- Jennifer Maiden’s George and Clare, the Baby and the Bikies
- Australian Poetry Journal 7:1, Skin
- Jennifer Maiden’s George and Clare and the Grey Hat Hacker