WP Bookblog Listing
- Ladies in Black (Bruce Beresford 2018) 24 September 2018I was full of hope for this as a movie about a turning point in Australian culture – 1959, when the transforming effects of postwar immigration began to take. It is crushingly disappointing. It managed to make wonderful actors like Susie Porter look bad. The writing, direction and performances were indescribably clunky in places. Some of the plot strands are […]
- Tin Man (Sarah Winman 2017) 23 September 2018By the author of When God Was a rabbit.
- Joan Didion: The Center WIll Not Hols (Griffin Dunne 2017) 22 September 2018Griffin Dunne is Joan Didion's nephew, and this documentary of her life has an intimate, familial feel. 'Natalie called' 'That's Nathalie Wood.' 'Yes'. Possibly the most striking thing in the movie, though, is the physical toll taken by age and bereavement.
- Juliet, Naked (Jesse Peretz 2018) 19 September 2018This makes me a confirmed fan of movies made from Nick Hornby novels. All three leads are excellent.
- The Lawyer (Jens Lapidus, Hans Rosenfeldt och Michael Hjorth 2018) 19 September 2018A new Swedish detective series 'from the creators of The Bridge'. A brother and sister whose parents were killed by a car bomb are now a brilliant lawyer and a police officer.
- Ladies in Black (Bruce Beresford 2018) 24 September 2018
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Gleebooks history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation Turkey
- Marija Peričić’s Lost Pages
- Sue Lawson’s Freedom Ride
- Olga Tokarczuk’s Flights and the Book Group
- Czesław Miłosz’s Captive Mind
- Rozanna Lilley, Do Oysters Get Bored?
- Kate Lilley’s Tilt
- The Book Group and Gerald Murnane’s Collected Short Fiction
- Jennifer Maiden’s Selected Poems
- Mohammad Ali Maleki’s Truth in the Cage
- Two quick reads
- Stephen Hart’s Lighthouse at Pelican Rock
- Eunice Andrada’s Flood Damages
- Southerly 77/1
- Michael Farrell Loves Poetry
- The Book Group and Shirley Hazzard’s Transit of Venus