Local objection to the proposed Woolworths for Annandale has taken an artistic turn. Riffing on The Independent Weekly‘s ‘Fighting the Woolly mammoth’ headline, versions of this charmingly dynamic poster have been turning up in shop windows.
shawjonathan on Mohammad Ali Maleki’s Tr… Charlie Aarons on Mohammad Ali Maleki’s Tr… shawjonathan on Mohammad Ali Maleki’s Tr… Jim Kable on Mohammad Ali Maleki’s Tr… The future prime min… on Bookblog #59: March is the lau… kathyprokhovnik on Two quick reads shawjonathan on Two quick reads
WP Bookblog Listing
- Just Another Immigrant (Romesh Ranganathan 2018) 21 July 2018We're watching the 10-part TV series of this rather than the movie. Romesh Ranganathan, a British stand-up comedian, decides to up sticks and go to LA. At least at the beginning it's an exercise in humiliation, as he books a huge space at great cost to himself and without any advance publicity, and then proceeds to introduce himself to largely indi […]
- The Rolling Stone (Chris Urch 2015) 18 July 2018A young Gay Christian man in Uganda, and all that entails. This is a powerful piece of theatre – I was glad of the extended curtain calls because they gave me time to stop crying at the end. The whole cast brought extraordinary conviction to their performances, but especially Elijah Williams as Dembe, who also seemed to weep his way through the curtain calls […]
- Truth in the Cage (Mohammad Ali Maleki 2018) 18 July 2018Poems by a Manus Island detainee, published by Verity La Press.
- Safe (Harlen Coban 2018) 14 July 2018A gated community full of dysfunctional families. The gay brother from Six Feet Under, not gay here, is recently widowed, and his teenage daughter goes missing. episode after episode he discovers that there's a lot he didn't know about his wife and his daughrters.
- The Smack Track (Ian McPhedran 2017) 9 July 2018The Royal Australian Navy's work disrupting drug trafficking off the east coast of Africa. Some of the stories behind the headlines, told partly from the eyewitness vantage point of an embedded writer.
- Just Another Immigrant (Romesh Ranganathan 2018) 21 July 2018
TagsABC Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alex Ryan Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Gleebooks history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation Turkey
- Mohammad Ali Maleki’s Truth in the Cage
- Two quick reads
- Stephen Hart’s Lighthouse at Pelican Rock
- Eunice Andrada’s Flood Damages
- Southerly 77/1
- Michael Farrell Loves Poetry
- The Book Group and Shirley Hazzard’s Transit of Venus
- Anna, Kim and Stephen’s Monsters
- Mark McKenna’s Moment of Truth
- Maryam Azam’s Hijab Files
- John Mateer’s João
- Suneeta Peres da Costa’s Saudade
- Jacqueline Woodson’s Brown Girl Dreaming
- Simon Armitage’s Flit
- Elisabeth Åsbrink’s 1947