Mattresses aren’t the only discards that stir the creative impulses in the Inner west. A friend sent me this photograph, taken in a Stanmore lane. I think this work needs to be preserved for the ages.
WP Bookblog Listing
- Amnesty (Aravind Adigo 2020) 17 September 2021My town seen through the eyes of an Indian novelist.
- The Victim (Rob Williams 2019) 17 September 2021A Scottish crime drama that hinges on a court case. A woman whose nine-year-old son was hideously murdered by a 13-year-old posts on Facebook a photo of a man she believes to be the murderer. The man is brutally attacked by someone who has seen the post, and now she is on trial for instigating attempted murder.
- SBS: Strong Female Lead (Tosca Looby & Rachel Grierson-Johns 2021) 13 September 2021A documentary about Julia Gillard's time as Prime Minister of Australia, in the context of other women who have been in top leadership positions, beginning with Sirimavo Bandaranaike in Sri Lanka in 1960 and ending with Kamala Harris. The doco focuses on the extraordinary sexism directed at Gillard. None of it is news, but it's extraordinary seein […]
- Australian Poetry Anthology 8 (edited by Sara Saleh & Melinda Smith 2020) 12 September 2021165 pages of contemporary Australian poetry!
- Overland 239 (ed Evelyn Araluen & Jonathan Dunk winter 2020) 12 September 2021A health-themed issue
- Amnesty (Aravind Adigo 2020) 17 September 2021
TagsABC Alison Croggon art Australian Women Writers Challenge children's literature comics David Brooks David Malouf doggerel editing Elizabeth McMahon First Nations history Jeff Sparrow Jennifer Maiden journals Marcel Proust memoir non-fiction Novel NSWPLA Overland Pam Brown phone photo poetry Quarterly Essay science fiction/fantasy Sydney Writers' Festival The School Magazine translation
- The Book Group and Mark McKenna Return to Uluru
- Brian Azzarello’s 100 Bullets
- Alan Finkel’s Getting to Zero
- Zadie Smith’s Intimations
- 500 people: Week 26-28
- The Prelude Progress Report 2
- Catherine Menon’s Fragile Monsters
- Ruby Reads 26: More Catwings and amazing Australian women revisited
- Toby Fitch’s Sydney Spleen
- And the land lay still with James Robertson and the Book Group
- 500 people: Weeks 24–25
- Journal Blitz 8b
- Not a mattress
- Ruby Reads 25: Ursula K Le Guin
- The Prelude Progress Report 1